Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ftp and password security

ftp and password security

Jan Bours

When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files belonging
to a website, the password that you supply with it is sent IN CLEARTEXT over
the wire
and the Internet. This can become a real security-problem when these
file-updates
are done lets say 10 times per hour or so. But even when this is done not so
often,
the password can be "stolen" by packet-sniffer-software.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a special
FTP-version
or do you have to use a completely different approach?

Thanks for your attention!

°Mike°

In <d58dhl$m6l$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl>,
Jan Bours took 18 lines to utter:

>When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files belonging
>to a website, the password that you supply with it is sent IN CLEARTEXT over
>the wire
>and the Internet. This can become a real security-problem when these
>file-updates
>are done lets say 10 times per hour or so. But even when this is done not so
>often,
>the password can be "stolen" by packet-sniffer-software.
>
>Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a special
>FTP-version
>or do you have to use a completely different approach?
>
>Thanks for your attention!

Try Secure iXplorer (shareware)
http://i-tree.org/

--
Basic computer maintenance

fkasner

°Mike° wrote:
> In <d58dhl$m6l$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl>,
> Jan Bours took 18 lines to utter:
>

>>When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files belonging
>>to a website, the password that you supply with it is sent IN CLEARTEXT over
>>the wire
>>and the Internet. This can become a real security-problem when these
>>file-updates
>>are done lets say 10 times per hour or so. But even when this is done not so
>>often,
>>the password can be "stolen" by packet-sniffer-software.
>>
>>Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a special
>>FTP-version
>>or do you have to use a completely different approach?
>>
>>Thanks for your attention!

> Try Secure iXplorer (shareware)
> http://i-tree.org/

Or try FTP-Pro or for that matter any available SSH implementation. I
believe there is a MS version of SSH that Windows users can use.
FK

FML

Jan Bours spewed forth...

> When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files
> belonging to a website, the password that you supply with it is sent
> IN CLEARTEXT over the wire
> and the Internet. This can become a real security-problem when these
> file-updates
> are done lets say 10 times per hour or so. But even when this is done
> not so often,
> the password can be "stolen" by packet-sniffer-software.
>
> Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a
> special FTP-version
> or do you have to use a completely different approach?
>
> Thanks for your attention!

Here is a primer on SecureFTP:

http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic...08_14_02a.html

HTH

Plato

Jan Bours wrote:

> Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a special
> FTP-version

winscp freeware the best
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/186.htm#3

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jan Bours

I think I will look into this tomorrow. I need a command-line-tool that is
secure,
with which my ISP can co-operate. I don't know which FTP-features they
support!
So I don't know yet which secure-FTP-version I can use.

HTH

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> Jan Bours spewed forth...
>
> > When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files
> > belonging to a website, the password that you supply with it is sent
> > IN CLEARTEXT over the wire
> > and the Internet. This can become a real security-problem when these
> > file-updates
> > are done lets say 10 times per hour or so. But even when this is done
> > not so often,
> > the password can be "stolen" by packet-sniffer-software.
> >
> > Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can it be done with a
> > special FTP-version
> > or do you have to use a completely different approach?
> >
> > Thanks for your attention!
> >

> Here is a primer on SecureFTP:
>
> http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic...08_14_02a.html
>
> HTH

Blinky the Shark

Jan Bours wrote:

> When I use the FTP-command (from the command-line) to update files belonging

Do sensors detect a Windows user that knows how to use the command line?

<dropping dead>

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263