Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ide to Usb

Ide to Usb

neathblue@ntlworld.com

Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
computer im using win 2000 pro.

any advice appreciated

steve

philo

> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
> computer im using win 2000 pro.
>
> any advice appreciated

if the drive is also new...
using disk management
you need to partition and format the drive

neathblue@ntlworld.com

On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
>>
>> any advice appreciated
>>

>if the drive is also new...
>using disk management
>you need to partition and format the drive

You can only see the drive in device manager

steve

philo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
>>>me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
>>>the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
>>>computer im using win 2000 pro.
>>>
>>>any advice appreciated
>>>

>>if the drive is also new...
>>using disk management
>>you need to partition and format the drive

> You can only see the drive in device manager

when you go to disk management...
you're saying it's not there?

neathblue@ntlworld.com

On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:20:42 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>if the drive is also new...
>>>using disk management
>>>you need to partition and format the drive

>> You can only see the drive in device manager
>>

>when you go to disk management...
>you're saying it's not there?

yes but you can see the drive in device manager

steve

neathblue@ntlworld.com

On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:20:42 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> You can only see the drive in device manager
>>

>when you go to disk management...
>you're saying it's not there?

when you first plug it in windows says new usn device mass storage but
its only seen in device manager as a disk drive

old jon

As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
so they can help. best wishes..J

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
>>
>> any advice appreciated
>>

> if the drive is also new...
> using disk management
> you need to partition and format the drive

neathblue@ntlworld.com

On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:15:43 GMT, "old jon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
>to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
>so they can help. best wishes..J
>
>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
>>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
>>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
>>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
>>>
>>> any advice appreciated
>>>

>> if the drive is also new...
>> using disk management
>> you need to partition and format the drive

No the disk i took out of a working machine so its formatted etc

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
>to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
>so they can help. best wishes..J
>
>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
>>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
>>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
>>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
>>>
>>> any advice appreciated
>>>

>> if the drive is also new...
>> using disk management
>> you need to partition and format the drive

also i tried it on a win 2k server and exactly the same happened
recognised the drive bur does not place a icon for it, i just tested
both pcs with a usb flach pen and its works perfectly

steve

Jurgen Klingemann

Try installing as new 3.5. As the 3.5 floppy will have been setup in favour
of the last OS it was last used on. If not check 3.5 compatibility for the
win 2000 pro.