Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange 'cold boot' probs.

Strange 'cold boot' probs.

Anonymoose

I usually run my pc 24/7 and only shut it down when I go on my one-weekend a
month business trip for that weekend. After its been off for a few days and
I initially fire it up it hangs on post or the screen stays black until i
hit the reset button, then i can get into the bios. I have to let it 'warm
up' for about 5-10 minutes and then it will boot normally and run rock solid
for the next 3 weex. Recently, I did an overhaul on the system. upgraded the
PSU, chip, mobo, vid card, and ram and I still get the same problem. The
only things I have not yet swapped out are the hard drives and cd/dvd
drives. and ideas on this matter greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old system:
Cheap-o 400W PSU
GA-7VT600-1394 motherboard
Corsair PC3200 Reg. ram 512MBx3
AMD XP 3200+ (not oc)
ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro (not oc)

New system (same drives and case as old)
Antec Tru 480W PSU
GA-K8NS Ultra 939 motherboard
OCZ Non-reg ver 2 dual channel 512MBx4
AMD64 4000+ (not oc)
ATI All in Wonder X800XT 256 (not oc)
Western Dig 36 gig raptor SATA
Western Dig 120 gig SATA
Sony DVD ROM
Plextor DVD +\-R
Win XP SP2
And this case:
http://tinyurl.com/canw3

Anonymoose

O and just to be a lil more specific, temps aren't an issue. my old sys ran
roughly 45C and the new stays around 35-40C. thanks again.

Walter Mautner

Anonymoose wrote:

> O and just to be a lil more specific, temps aren't an issue. my old sys
> ran roughly 45C and the new stays around 35-40C. thanks again.

Since you even swapped the PSU, there are just the drives left. Might be one
of them on it's way out, or some stupid bios bug making full initialization
of the cd/dvd drives necessary (spin up, timeout ...) even when the boot
order (hopefully adjusted?) tells it to try from SATA first.
Use your HD manuf. diagnosis tools and (as a independent tool) knoppix live
cd with smartmontools.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Anonymoose

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since you even swapped the PSU, there are just the drives left. Might be
> one
> of them on it's way out, or some stupid bios bug making full
> initialization
> of the cd/dvd drives necessary (spin up, timeout ...) even when the boot
> order (hopefully adjusted?) tells it to try from SATA first.
> Use your HD manuf. diagnosis tools and (as a independent tool) knoppix
> live
> cd with smartmontools.
> --
> Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
> detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
> to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Looks like thats it. I let it sit at post (about 9 mins) and watched. It
finally went thru and did not detect my 120gig sata then locked on bootup.
Hit the reset button and everything was fine. According to western dig I
still have 1.5 yrs warr. on this drive. thanks for your info.