Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2000 - Problem with changing folder icons (shortcuts OK)

Windows 2000 - Problem with changing folder icons (shortcuts OK)

Ian Jackson

On my own computer, with XP, it's easy to assign new icons to folders or
shortcuts.

On my works computer, with Windows 2000, I can do it OK for shortcuts,
but not for a folder. The option to do it simply isn't there (when you
right-click on the folder icon, select Properties etc). However,
shortcuts DO have this option.

I have looked in Tools, Folder Options, and I can't see anything there
which looks useful. Am I missing something, or is this simply a
'feature' of 2000?

Ian.

philo

Ian Jackson wrote:
> On my own computer, with XP, it's easy to assign new icons to folders or
> shortcuts.
>
> On my works computer, with Windows 2000, I can do it OK for shortcuts,
> but not for a folder. The option to do it simply isn't there (when you
> right-click on the folder icon, select Properties etc). However,
> shortcuts DO have this option.
>
> I have looked in Tools, Folder Options, and I can't see anything there
> which looks useful. Am I missing something, or is this simply a
> 'feature' of 2000?
>
> Ian.

don't think you are missing anything...
i've never seen is any other way

Sultan

Ian Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1jMT$(E-Mail Removed):

> On my own computer, with XP, it's easy to assign new icons to

folders or
> shortcuts.
>
> On my works computer, with Windows 2000, I can do it OK for

shortcuts,
> but not for a folder. The option to do it simply isn't there (when

you
> right-click on the folder icon, select Properties etc). However,
> shortcuts DO have this option.
>
> I have looked in Tools, Folder Options, and I can't see anything

there
> which looks useful. Am I missing something, or is this simply a
> 'feature' of 2000?
>
> Ian.

There are a few freeware programs available that will let you do this
in Windows 2000 like the one here:
http://www.dirfile.com/folder_icon_changer.htm

You can Google for more.

--

Sultan

Ian Jackson

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, philo
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Ian Jackson wrote:
>> On my own computer, with XP, it's easy to assign new icons to folders
>>or shortcuts.
>> On my works computer, with Windows 2000, I can do it OK for
>>shortcuts, but not for a folder. The option to do it simply isn't
>>there (when you right-click on the folder icon, select Properties
>>etc). However, shortcuts DO have this option.
>> I have looked in Tools, Folder Options, and I can't see anything
>>there which looks useful. Am I missing something, or is this simply a
>>'feature' of 2000?
>> Ian.

>don't think you are missing anything...
>i've never seen is any other way

I'll take that as a 'No' and a 'Yes', then!
Thanks anyway.
Ian.

Ian Jackson

In message <Xns96495ED6C31F8sultanofcyberhotmail@204.153.244. 170>,
Sultan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Ian Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:1jMT$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On my own computer, with XP, it's easy to assign new icons to

>folders or
>> shortcuts.
>>
>> On my works computer, with Windows 2000, I can do it OK for

>shortcuts,
>> but not for a folder. The option to do it simply isn't there (when

>you
>> right-click on the folder icon, select Properties etc). However,
>> shortcuts DO have this option.
>>
>> I have looked in Tools, Folder Options, and I can't see anything

>there
>> which looks useful. Am I missing something, or is this simply a
>> 'feature' of 2000?
>>
>> Ian.

>There are a few freeware programs available that will let you do this
>in Windows 2000 like the one here:
>http://www.dirfile.com/folder_icon_changer.htm
>
>You can Google for more.

Unfortunately, I can't install any unauthorised stuff on the works
machine. I'll have to live with things the way they are, but I'll have a
look at this link. It might be fun for XP. Thanks anyway.
Cheers,
Ian.