Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > can`t alter bios

can`t alter bios

shir

A friend would like to alter a couple of things in his Bios (disabling
onboard sound & stuff like that).
He has to enter a password to enter into the Bios , which he does ok , but
once he is in the bios most of the options are "greyed out" and he can`t
alter them at all.
How can he get back to making changes in the Bios??

why?

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:35:53 +0100, shir wrote:

>A friend would like to alter a couple of things in his Bios (disabling
>onboard sound & stuff like that).
> He has to enter a password to enter into the Bios , which he does ok , but
>once he is in the bios most of the options are "greyed out" and he can`t
>alter them at all.
> How can he get back to making changes in the Bios??

Would it matter by not mentioning,

The PC make/model, BIOS make/version?

Me

secret squiddle

"shir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4273b3eb$0$297$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend would like to alter a couple of things in his Bios (disabling
> onboard sound & stuff like that).
> He has to enter a password to enter into the Bios , which he does ok , but
> once he is in the bios most of the options are "greyed out" and he can`t
> alter them at all.
> How can he get back to making changes in the Bios??

Some big name computer manufacturers lock the user out of the Bios. Dell,
HP, etc.

**SS**

Cisco

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:35:53 +0100, "shir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend would like to alter a couple of things in his Bios (disabling
>onboard sound & stuff like that).
> He has to enter a password to enter into the Bios , which he does ok , but
>once he is in the bios most of the options are "greyed out" and he can`t
>alter them at all.
> How can he get back to making changes in the Bios??

Your friend is lucky, My Sony won't even let me into the bios, and I
really wanted to tweak some of those advanced settings. lol