Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer wont boot up from anything

Computer wont boot up from anything

Saddles

Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
256 ram, Windows Xp Home,

My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen in
reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.
My intention is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set
the boot order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in
either, it doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place.

Parko

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:04:19 -0400, Saddles scratched in the sand:

> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42 AMD Duron CPU clock
> 650MHz,
> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>
> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
> in reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about
> to load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor. My intention
> is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set the boot
> order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in either, it
> doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place. Could someone
> point me in the right direction?

Try clearing the CMOS by prising open the PC's case and removing the
battery on the Motherboard for apx 30 secs. That might help.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Ben Myers

Try making a new boot floppy.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Also, please note that the changes to the CMOS boot sequence
typically must be saved when exiting to be effective.

Ben

"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
> AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>
> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen in
> reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
> load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.
> My intention is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set
> the boot order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in
> either, it doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place.
> Could someone point me in the right direction?

Saddles

I tried removing the battery. No difference. Does the CMOS get any
*clearner* if you do it the other way - the jumper way?

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:04:19 -0400, Saddles scratched in the sand:
>
>> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42 AMD Duron CPU clock
>> 650MHz,
>> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>>
>> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
>> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
>> in reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is
>> about
>> to load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor. My
>> intention
>> is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set the boot
>> order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in either, it
>> doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place. Could someone
>> point me in the right direction?

> Try clearing the CMOS by prising open the PC's case and removing the
> battery on the Motherboard for apx 30 secs. That might help.
>
> --
> Parko
> Registered Linux User #339345
> Defenestrate Windows!

Saddles

The floppy works fine. And besides, I also use a bootable Windwos Xp
installation Cd that it wont' boot up from. I saved the boot sequence.
Thanks so far tho'

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kPLce.1969$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
Try making a new boot floppy.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Also, please note that the changes to the CMOS boot sequence
typically must be saved when exiting to be effective.

Ben

"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
> AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>
> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
> in
> reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
> load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.
> My intention is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set
> the boot order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in
> either, it doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place.
> Could someone point me in the right direction?

Parko

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:08:50 -0400, Saddles scratched in the sand:

> I tried removing the battery. No difference. Does the CMOS get any
> *clearner* if you do it the other way - the jumper way?

No. But while the case is open you may want to check that all the IDE and
power cables etc are firmly seated. Check to see if the HD spins up too.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!

Ben Myers

If you are confident that your boot floppy and CD are readable, the problem may
be hardware failure. Remove all expansion cards except the video card,
then remove and reseat the RAM modules. If you have a known good floppy or
CD drive, try installing it. You also might try unplugging the hard drive to rule
out the possibility that the computer is trying to boot from it.

Ben

"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The floppy works fine. And besides, I also use a bootable Windwos Xp
> installation Cd that it wont' boot up from. I saved the boot sequence.
> Thanks so far tho'
>
> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kPLce.1969$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Try making a new boot floppy.
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
>
> Also, please note that the changes to the CMOS boot sequence
> typically must be saved when exiting to be effective.
>
> Ben
>
> "Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
> > AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
> > 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
> >
> > My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
> > everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
> > in
> > reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
> > load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.
> > My intention is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set
> > the boot order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in
> > either, it doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place.
> > Could someone point me in the right direction?

Walter Mautner

"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:

> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
> AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>
> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
> in
> reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
> load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.

Standard procedure is to go to bios setup and "load setup defaults" or
"failsafe".
Then make sure the floppy or cdrom is listed before the harddrive.
Does your computer try to access the floppy or cdrom at that time (when bios
screen vanishes), i.e. do you see the floppy/cd access light come on?

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Saddles

I've tried just about everything mentioned so far now - renmoving everything
except the video card, unhooking the hard drive etc. One thing has happened
since though, but it may not be as a result of any of these steps (and I
haven't be able to make it happen again since). After about 25 repeated
trials the thing suddenly booted up from the CD (gave me the chance to
choose CD bootup - and I hurriedly pressed enter). This had only occured
once before just after the problem first developed. It means, then, that it
may be working once in every 30 or so tries. The hard drive was
disconnected at the time so I couldn't go on to reinstall anyway. When I
hurriedly killed the power and reconnected the hard drive, it won't boot
again. disconnected the hard drive again and it still wont boot beyond post
screen.

If the BIOS is responsible for giving me the option to boot from CD (as
requested by the boot order) wouldn't it be a BIOS problem?

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:
>
>> Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
>> AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
>> 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>>
>> My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
>> everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
>> in
>> reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about
>> load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.

> Standard procedure is to go to bios setup and "load setup defaults" or
> "failsafe".
> Then make sure the floppy or cdrom is listed before the harddrive.
> Does your computer try to access the floppy or cdrom at that time (when
> bios
> screen vanishes), i.e. do you see the floppy/cd access light come on?
>
> --
> Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
> detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
> to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Dennis Turner

On 4/30/2005 5:57 PM or thereabouts, Saddles appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

> I've tried just about everything mentioned so far now - renmoving everything
> except the video card, unhooking the hard drive etc. One thing has happened
> since though, but it may not be as a result of any of these steps (and I
> haven't be able to make it happen again since). After about 25 repeated
> trials the thing suddenly booted up from the CD (gave me the chance to
> choose CD bootup - and I hurriedly pressed enter). This had only occured
> once before just after the problem first developed. It means, then, that it
> may be working once in every 30 or so tries. The hard drive was
> disconnected at the time so I couldn't go on to reinstall anyway. When I
> hurriedly killed the power and reconnected the hard drive, it won't boot
> again. disconnected the hard drive again and it still wont boot beyond post
> screen.
>
> If the BIOS is responsible for giving me the option to boot from CD (as
> requested by the boot order) wouldn't it be a BIOS problem?
>

> "Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:
>>

>>>Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
>>>AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
>>>256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
>>>
>>>My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
>>>everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
>>>in
>>>reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about
>>>load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.

>>Standard procedure is to go to bios setup and "load setup defaults" or
>>"failsafe".
>>Then make sure the floppy or cdrom is listed before the harddrive.
>>Does your computer try to access the floppy or cdrom at that time (when
>>bios
>>screen vanishes), i.e. do you see the floppy/cd access light come on?
>>
>>--
>>Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
>>detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
>>to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
>>Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

I just went through a similar problem on one of my machines, and it was
a bad video card. Could also be a faulty IDE cable.

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.