Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Service Pack 4 Erroring RAS / VPN

Service Pack 4 Erroring RAS / VPN

Lorie

I have had service pack 4 for windows put on a server.
After the service pack 4 was installed the server on bootup would error with
message it will shut down after 30 seconds, which it did.
The service pack 4 is now uninstalled but the server now seems to be
corrupted.
I can email out through the internet, but I need to forward mail to another
server via RSS/ VPN (which it did before the service pack install) and I
cannot get it to work now. I cannot ping the other server, but the other
server can ping back to me.
I need to get the server up and running again to forward mail to the other
server.
Any suggestions. Is there a problem with service pack 4.

why?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:48:34 GMT, Lorie wrote:

>I have had service pack 4 for windows put on a server.

That will be Windows 2000? You didn't say.

>After the service pack 4 was installed the server on bootup would error with
>message it will shut down after 30 seconds, which it did.

It's not the Blaster Worm? (It may have been 60 seconds and not 30) Try
looking here, www.google.com

No message?

No Event log ID number?

>The service pack 4 is now uninstalled but the server now seems to be
>corrupted.

Since it's something like 2 years old, there are no hotfixes , security
updates to apply?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/oth...s/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/win2000
search the KB with something like - kbfix 2000 ras

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Resource Center
.... downlaods, and known bugs and issues with Windows 2000 Service Pack
4) ...
a minute to review the list of known bugs and issues at the end of this
page. ...
http://labmice.techtarget.com/Servic...win2000sp4.htm - 39k - Cached
- Similar pages

>I can email out through the internet, but I need to forward mail to another
>server via RSS/ VPN (which it did before the service pack install) and I
>cannot get it to work now. I cannot ping the other server, but the other
>server can ping back to me.
>I need to get the server up and running again to forward mail to the other
>server.
>Any suggestions. Is there a problem with service pack 4.

Argh!!!!!!

Here's 1 *suggestion* www.google.com

Installing and Configuring VPN on a Windows NT Server
.... It is still possible to use Windows 95, 98, Me, NT and 2000 to make
a VPN
connection ... Service pack 4 includes some important updates to PPTP
and RAS. ...
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/vpn...xml?style=text - 18k
- Cached - Similar pages

SP4 for W2K was released today 6
.... (5) Some issues with VPOP3 and RAS not functioning correctly after
applying SP4.
.... Do Not Work Correctly After You Install Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://www.nthelp.com/w2k3/sp4_for_w...ed_today_6.htm - 9k - Cached -
Similar pages

NT4 service pack 4 bugs
Bugs fixed in NT4 service packs ... in Schedule Plus Q186746
International Calling
Codes Updated in Service Pack 4 Q186770 Windows NT Hangs Trying to
Access ...
www.nthelp.com/40/nt4bugs.htm - 145k - Cached - Similar pages

Me