Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Window Media player and Real Player crashing

kerrcromwell

I am having problems playing some video files saved on my computer an
on the net. I did not have this problem until i installed some codec
on my computer. Now some files will still play and not crash m
player. I am not sure what I did to cause this. I do know that
install gordian knot and some other codec packs i found on bare share.
As far as I know I uninstalled all of the codecs and both real playe
and wmp still crash.

Set

--
kerrcromwel
kerrcromwell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1218

un8bf

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:55:21 -0400, kerrcromwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am having problems playing some video files saved on my computer and
>on the net. I did not have this problem until i installed some codecs
>on my computer. Now some files will still play and not crash my
>player. I am not sure what I did to cause this. I do know that I
>install gordian knot and some other codec packs i found on bare share.
>As far as I know I uninstalled all of the codecs and both real player
>and wmp still crash.
>
>Seth

A quick fix may be to uninstall then reinstall wmp and rp, unless you
like fiddling around with re-doing file associations, etc. Too many
exotic codecs (those in packs) sometimes tend to give you more than
you really need, and conflicts can arise. Get your specific codecs
from the author's website or from reliable sites like afterdawn.com or
videohelp.com

kerrcromwell

I already tried that too. What is odd its only on some files. Think i
is avi encoded with dvix. But then streaming video over the net crashe
the embeded player too. I think the site I am at has its movies encode
with dvix