Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sony Laptop bought on Ebay and Has Bios Password

Sony Laptop bought on Ebay and Has Bios Password

TJ

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:00:23 -0400, "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It was purchased from a stranger, the bios PW was not supplied, and
>> the seller is *unreachable*.

> None of those, IMHO, qualify for suspicion that the laptop is stolen.
>
> The OP never defined 'the seller is unreachable'.

Ummm yeah. s/he did. Here's the original post in case you missed it. I've
taken the liberty of putting the pertinant words in bold for you.
-----------------------------------

From: "RAM" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Sony Laptop bought on Ebay and Has Bios Password
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:20 +0100

Hi
Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its asking
me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password *and* *the* *seller*
*is*
*unreachable*.
I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.

i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop

<snip>

> Your eBay transaction history would be enough to CYA.

Hopefully. I'd just as soon be sure if it were me, though.

>>> The OP
>>> needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

>> What part of;
>> ---------------------
>> "........ and the seller is unreachable."
>> -------------------
>> did you fail to comprehend?

> I'd bet what little I have that the OP didn't telephone the seller,
> simply sent a e-mail (or two, or 3...)

When someone writes, "so-and-so is unreachable" ... I naturally assume
they've exhausted *all* options. Then again? ...

This is 24hoursupport.helpdesk group.

My bad.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:27:16 -0400, "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The OP never defined 'the seller is unreachable'.

>Ummm yeah. s/he did.

Umm no, s/he didn't.

>Here's the original post in case you missed it. I've
>taken the liberty of putting the pertinant words in bold for you.

I see nothing in BOLD. I see asterisks:

>*and* *the* *seller* *is* *unreachable*.

Once again, no part of that indicates the buyer made a telephone call.
From my experience in AMOE, there are thousands of people who say "The
seller is unreachable", where someone follows up with "Well, what
happened when you called them?" and the response, 99% of the time is
"Oh.. How do I get their number?"

We can only wait for the OP to reply, but I'm betting the OP simply
e-mailed the seller, not telephoned them.

Evan Platt

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:20 +0100, "RAM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its asking
>me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password and the seller is
>unreachable.
>I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
>password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.
>
>i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
>backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop

Did you try CALLING the seller?

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Evan Platt took 10 lines to utter:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:50:35 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On the grounds that there is reason to suspect that
>>it could be a stolen laptop --

>What grounds? I fail to see any evidence that it may be stolen.

Because you fail to see it, does not mean that it doesn't exist,
and is your problem, not mine.

>The OP needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

You assume too much.

--
Basic computer maintenance

conradodav conradodav is offline
Junior Member

Hey if you need support for SONY bios password feel free to write to conradodav at hotmail dot com or visit laptoprebirth dot com