Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Icon location in Windows XP?

Icon location in Windows XP?

Sseadoubleyou

Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Troy Piggins

* Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
> system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Brian

"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> * Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> > Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
> > system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

> Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
>
> --
> T R O Y P I G G I N S
> e : (E-Mail Removed)

is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:17:56 +0200, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
|>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|>>
|>> Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
|>>
|>> --
|>> T R O Y P I G G I N S
|>> e : (E-Mail Removed)

|> is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

Any program here http://tinyurl.com/d4xjc that uses the keyword
extract should.

--
The Eagle Nebula image release on Hubble's 15th birthday
http://tinyurl.com/982nm (space.com)

JANA

For basic XP Icons.

Try this one: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll

--

JANA
_____

"Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Frodo_333 Frodo_333 is offline
Junior Member

This one works fine...

Loup0999 Loup0999 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada

You should try a freeware called Resource Hacker.

It lets you decompile and recompile system files so you can edit the content!
You can hack every logo in the system by replacing them with your own bitmaps!

Replace avi files to create your own animations (progress bar, etc)
Search Google for "resource hacker" AND tutorials and get more info.

wguru wguru is offline
Junior Member

when right-clicking on a given folder, selecting to choose a different icon for it, why would that button only open the system32 folder (as opposed to the actual shell32.dll)?

I've never seen this happen before, and I've used Win98, XP's and even Vista Ho-Prem SP3, but my fresh reinstall of an Acer AOA150 (using the hidden partition's backed software) doesn't get me to the dll, just it's folder.

Sort of like asking for directions to somewhere specific and someone just points.

Educationalist Educationalist is offline
Junior Member

Also \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pifmgr.dll has a nice assortment of icons.

I like the wizard's cap & wand.

PS: shell.dll is not an icon collection as are shell32 and pifmgr

kg1016 kg1016 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sseadoubleyou View Post
Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.
try here: C:\program files\WinUtilities\icons