Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > file types

file types

john marsden

what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
john marsden.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

john marsden wrote:
> what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
> negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
> john marsden.

When you say for archiving, I'd probably go with one of the lossless
formats such as .tif. The reasoning is that if you compress them now
with a compressed format such as .jpg, some data is forever lost. If
saving space is more important to you, then go with .jpg.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:12:10 GMT, "john marsden"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
|>negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?

As mention'd, for future use...TIF

--
The Eagle Nebula image release on Hubble's 15th birthday
http://tinyurl.com/982nm (space.com)

Dave Lear

"john marsden" wrote in message
news:ukLbe.5010$(E-Mail Removed)

> what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
> negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?

If it's a high-end camera then save them as .RAW

If it's a normal camera then .TIF or .JPG (as long as this is set to high
quality rather than high compression)

philo

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:12:10 +0000, john marsden wrote:

> what is the best ( useful ) type of file for saving photographs and
> negatives onto C.D.-Rs for archiving.?
> john marsden.

..jpg will save space...
if you ever need to edit the file...
convert to another format such as .tif or .bmp