Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DNS Blocked

DNS Blocked

°Mike°

In <Vxzbe.1601$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alistair Budd took 9 lines to utter:

>I have written small DNS server using port 53.
>It works fine until I install the LAN.
>For some reason UDP port 53 is blocked once the LAN is installed.
>
>Any ideas??

Write a better one.

--
"The road to success is always under construction."

°Mike°

In <Vxzbe.1601$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alistair Budd took 9 lines to utter:

>I have written small DNS server using port 53.
>
>It works fine until I install the LAN.
>
>For some reason UDP port 53 is blocked once the LAN is installed.
>
>Any ideas??

Oh, and by the way, please fix your clock and/or Time Zone.
You are posting from the future.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

When you have altered your Time Zone/clock, and
fixed your double-spaced line feeds, then post back
and supply more details about your system and
what you are trying to achieve.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../Mar27pmvp.asp

In <HRzbe.1607$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alistair Budd took 32 lines to utter:

>If only it was that easy.
>
>It uses windows API.
>
>All it does is open up the UDP port 53.
>
>Listen and wait.
>
>When a packet is received I do my code.
>
>Problem is that the packet never arrives.
>
>It works fine until the network is installed

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rob K

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:01 -0700, Alistair Budd wrote:

> I have written small DNS server using port 53.

I get the impression you're deliberatly posting from the future. You
want to attract attention, huh ?
Ne conjugare nobiscum. TINN.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13
vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

Alistair Budd

Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)

Windows XP SP2.
Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I wish to
host it on my computer.
DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
All works fine until network is installed.
All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to receive
it.
Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program at
the top of the stack

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you have altered your Time Zone/clock, and
> fixed your double-spaced line feeds, then post back
> and supply more details about your system and
> what you are trying to achieve.
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/post.html
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../Mar27pmvp.asp
>

> In <HRzbe.1607$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alistair Budd took 32 lines to utter:
>
>>If only it was that easy.
>>
>>It uses windows API.
>>
>>All it does is open up the UDP port 53.
>>
>>Listen and wait.
>>
>>When a packet is received I do my code.
>>
>>Problem is that the packet never arrives.
>>
>>It works fine until the network is installed

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Alistair Budd

Date was wrong, sorry all.

"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:11b1qk1x7jj4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:01 -0700, Alistair Budd wrote:
>
>> I have written small DNS server using port 53.
>>

> I get the impression you're deliberatly posting from the future. You
> want to attract attention, huh ?
> Ne conjugare nobiscum. TINN.
>
> --
> My E-mail address in ROT-13
> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

°Mike°

It sounds like your DNS is not set up correctly. Here is
some reading on the subject:

Configuring DNS Servers
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...uring_DNS.mspx

Troubleshooting DNS
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/its.../dnstshot.mspx

Troubleshooting DNS
http://www.chicagotech.net/dnstroubleshooting.htm

In <pgAbe.1616$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alistair Budd took 52 lines to utter:

>Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)
>
>Windows XP SP2.
>Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
>I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I wish to
>host it on my computer.
>DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
>www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
>All works fine until network is installed.
>All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
>Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to receive
>it.
>Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
>Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program at
>the top of the stack

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

FML

Alistair Budd spewed forth...

> Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)
>
> Windows XP SP2.
> Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
> I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I
> wish to host it on my computer.
> DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
> www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
> All works fine until network is installed.
> All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
> Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to
> receive it.
> Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
> Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program
> at the top of the stack

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When you have altered your Time Zone/clock, and
>> fixed your double-spaced line feeds, then post back
>> and supply more details about your system and
>> what you are trying to achieve.
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/post.html
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../Mar27pmvp.asp
>>

>> In <HRzbe.1607$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Alistair Budd took 32 lines to utter:
>>
>>>If only it was that easy.
>>>
>>>It uses windows API.
>>>
>>>All it does is open up the UDP port 53.
>>>
>>>Listen and wait.
>>>
>>>When a packet is received I do my code.
>>>
>>>Problem is that the packet never arrives.
>>>
>>>It works fine until the network is installed

>> <snip>
>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

You haven't mentioned whether you have a firewall running, if you do you
may try adding UDP port 53 and TCP port 53 to the firewall exceptions
list.

sbb78247

Alistair Budd wrote:
> I have written small DNS server using port 53.
>
> It works fine until I install the LAN.
>
> For some reason UDP port 53 is blocked once the LAN is installed.
>
> Any ideas??

yea, **** off and die

why?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:01 -0700, Alistair Budd wrote:

>I have written small DNS server using port 53.

That's nice, you give away a lot of useful information.

Here is a small DNS cache server, already written and works fine.
Unlimited users USD $99, http://www.extratools.com/

<snip>

Me