Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ethernet card

Ethernet card

David Bower

Dumb question...
How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

David Bower wrote:
> Dumb question...
> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
instead of four.

David Bower

Rgr wrote:
> David Bower wrote:
>
>> Dumb question...
>> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
> left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
> Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
> on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
> like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
> instead of four.

In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
and...
1394 Net Adapter #5

Are either of these an ethernet card?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

David Bower wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>> David Bower wrote:
>>
>>> Dumb question...
>>> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

>> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and
>> Alt, left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device
>> manager. Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed.
>> Or - look on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for
>> what looks like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has
>> eight conductors instead of four.

> In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
>
> Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
> and...
> 1394 Net Adapter #5
>
> Are either of these an ethernet card?

Yes, the Intel.

Mike

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Bower took 22 lines to utter:

>Rgr wrote:
>> David Bower wrote:
>>
>>> Dumb question...
>>> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

>> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
>> left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
>> Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
>> on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
>> like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
>> instead of four.

>In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
>
>Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
>and...
>1394 Net Adapter #5
>
>Are either of these an ethernet card?

Yes, the Intel PRO/100 VE is the ethernet controller.
The 1394 refers to firewire with networking capability.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Sunny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David Bower took 22 lines to utter:
>
>>Rgr wrote:

>>> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
>>> left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
>>> Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
>>> on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
>>> like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
>>> instead of four.

>>In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
>>
>>Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
>>and...
>>1394 Net Adapter #5
>>
>>Are either of these an ethernet card?

> Yes, the Intel PRO/100 VE is the ethernet controller.
> The 1394 refers to firewire with networking capability.

Handy driver software :
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...D=407&lang=eng

Dave Lear

"David Bower" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Dumb question...
> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

Start

Run

MSINFO32.EXE

Navigate through to...