Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > new apartment need DSL

new apartment need DSL

Brian

I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another 10
for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need an
actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
phone service since I use a cell phone.

any advice is appreciated!

Julie P.

newsOebe.7997$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
>don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another
>10 for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need
>an actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't
>want phone service since I use a cell phone.

maybe. probably not though. What you want is called "naked DSL" (DSL with no
phone line). Verizon is offering it in select trial markets, starting in the
northeast (former NYNEX and Bell Atlantic customers). Qwest also offers
naked DSL. All cable companies already offer "naked cable". The fee is
usually $5 more a month than if had both.

Go here and do a search for DSL providers in your area and contact each one
to see if they do naked DSL:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4002-6549_7-....html?tag=more
or
http://www.dslreports.com/search

Interesting articles about naked DSL:

http://www.ovum.com/go/content/c,46710

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...31234&from=rss

Old Gringo

Brian wrote:
> I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
> don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another 10
> for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need an
> actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
> phone service since I use a cell phone.
>
> any advice is appreciated!

Check with the Big Boys, you may be in luck:
http://www.speakeasy.net/home/onelink/

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

philo

newsOebe.7997$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
> don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another

10
> for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need an
> actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
> phone service since I use a cell phone.

best to check with your company...
but you may need some type of minimal service...
it will still be less than roadrunner.
my regular phone service + DSL is approx $48 / month