Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP home edition

XP home edition

sligo

Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6 attempts before
it goes down.
Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

°Mike°

In <Rxdbe.2822$pk5.2549@fed1read02>,
sligo took 8 lines to utter:

>Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6 attempts before
>it goes down.
>Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
>What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
>Thank you,
>Seamus J. Wilson

It sounds like something that you have installed recently is running
and not exiting cleanly at shutdown. Uninstall (systematically) all
of the last few applications that you installed, and shut down after
each uninstall, until you have the culprit.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Aquanaut

"sligo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6 attempts
> before
> it goes down.
> Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
> What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?, please.
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

To make it go down the first time,buy it more beer!!
Seriously take advantage of system restore,assuming it is a "recent
problem,find something that works.Or are there a load of progs running in
the background (as in my daughters)--generally due to msn messenger and or
associated files that the little darlings exchange amongst themselves etc.

Sultan

"sligo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Rxdbe.2822$pk5.2549@fed1read02:

> Daughter's machine. Reluctant to shut down. Takes 5 or 6

attempts
> before it goes down.
> Ran virus,spyware and defragged.
> What should I attempt next to make it go down on first effort?,
> please. Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Look in Task Manager and first make sure all applications are closed.
Next take note of what processes are running- see any apps
executables in there you recognize? Most likely the culprit. Weird
thing is Windows sometimes gives an error message when it has trouble
with rogue apps doing this.

--

Sultan

Shiv

Check whether if you have any P2P programs are running????

sligo

Thank all for the time and helpful answers.
Best,
Seamus J.