Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows error 'page fault in non paged area' and graphics cards, anyone help ?

Windows error 'page fault in non paged area' and graphics cards, anyone help ?

Ben

I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's a
driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.
The system can be made to error when running something graphically
intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2 to 10 mins or it'll
fall over randomly in normal use..
I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon 7000.
Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and installed the latest
rad drivers and run the same screen save that made it fall over before, and
still falls over ??

Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same error now
? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's no hd active
going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can be conflicting
with the graphics ?
I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

System:
NF7s
2x 512 meg corsair
amd 3200

Idle temp 35, load 42
bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.

Ben

old john

check in Administrative Tools\Events to see what you can find, also you
could run Dr Watson (system32 folder) and check the log, might give you some
clues. best wishes..J

"Ben" <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:426d0a2e$0$26344$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
> bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's
> driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.
> The system can be made to error when running something graphically
> intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2 to 10 mins or
> it'll
> fall over randomly in normal use..
> I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
> 7000.
> Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and installed the
> latest
> rad drivers and run the same screen save that made it fall over before,
> and
> still falls over ??
>
> Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
> geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same error
> now
> ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's no hd active
> going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can be conflicting
> with the graphics ?
> I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
>
> System:
> NF7s
> 2x 512 meg corsair
> amd 3200
>
> Idle temp 35, load 42
> bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
> Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
>
> Ben

Ben

"old john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j48be.8226$(E-Mail Removed)...
> check in Administrative Tools\Events to see what you can find, also you
> could run Dr Watson (system32 folder) and check the log, might give you

some
> clues. best wishes..J

Many thanks, that gives me some info, but I've not a clue what it means...

over the last 24 hours, 2 of these:
Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0,

hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

and 2 of these ?

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine
CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

Can anyone please tell me what that means ? the m$ system tell that the
second one is an error in com+

Help !!

Ben

old john

two more options now, you can either `google` for answers, or go to
`microsofts` knowledge base, type in the errors,(one at a time ), and see if
you can find out more. best wishes..J

"Ben" <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:426d0a2e$0$26344$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
> bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's
> driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.
> The system can be made to error when running something graphically
> intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2 to 10 mins or
> it'll
> fall over randomly in normal use..
> I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
> 7000.
> Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and installed the
> latest
> rad drivers and run the same screen save that made it fall over before,
> and
> still falls over ??
>
> Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
> geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same error
> now
> ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's no hd active
> going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can be conflicting
> with the graphics ?
> I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
>
> System:
> NF7s
> 2x 512 meg corsair
> amd 3200
>
> Idle temp 35, load 42
> bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
> Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
>
> Ben

°Mike°

In <426d0a2e$0$26344$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben took 30 lines to utter:

>I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
>bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's a
>driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

The non-paged area of RAM should NOT be used by external drivers -- it
is used exclusively by core system code -- so that doesn't seem to be likely.

<snip>

>I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

That does not *prove* that your RAM is fine. What is likely, here, is that
there is a serious problem with either: RAM, damaged hard drive (which
can cause faulty code), or a rogue utility (Norton/Symantec?) putting code
where it should not be.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

FML

Ben spewed forth...

> I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after
> the bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me
> that it's a driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so
> really useful. The system can be made to error when running something
> graphically intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2
> to 10 mins or it'll fall over randomly in normal use..
> I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
> 7000. Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and
> installed the latest rad drivers and run the same screen save that
> made it fall over before, and still falls over ??
>
> Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
> geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same
> error now ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's
> no hd active going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can
> be conflicting with the graphics ?
> I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
>
> System:
> NF7s
> 2x 512 meg corsair
> amd 3200
>
> Idle temp 35, load 42
> bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
> Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
>
> Ben

Practically every time I've seen this error it was a RAM issue.

Either bad RAM modules or the RAM wasn't seated properly in the slot.

The first thing I'd try is to reseat the RAM. Make sure they click into
place and fit snugly. If that doesn't work, try swapping the RAM modules
with some "known-good" modules and see what happens.

HTH

Ben

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Ben spewed forth...
>
> > I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after
> > the bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me
> > that it's a driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so
> > really useful. The system can be made to error when running something
> > graphically intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2
> > to 10 mins or it'll fall over randomly in normal use..
> > I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
> > 7000. Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and
> > installed the latest rad drivers and run the same screen save that
> > made it fall over before, and still falls over ??
> >
> > Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
> > geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same
> > error now ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's
> > no hd active going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can
> > be conflicting with the graphics ?
> > I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
> >
> > System:
> > NF7s
> > 2x 512 meg corsair
> > amd 3200
> >
> > Idle temp 35, load 42
> > bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
> > Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
> >
> > Ben
> >

> Practically every time I've seen this error it was a RAM issue.
>
> Either bad RAM modules or the RAM wasn't seated properly in the slot.
>
> The first thing I'd try is to reseat the RAM. Make sure they click into
> place and fit snugly. If that doesn't work, try swapping the RAM modules
> with some "known-good" modules and see what happens.
>
> HTH

Seems to point to ram, but I've 2 strips and it doesn't matter if I put both
in or just 1 (and I've tried 1 strip in slots 1 and 3 and both strips in
slots 2 and 3 for dual mode or slots 1 and 2 for normal mode) it still falls
over with the same error ?

Whets the chance of getting 2 strips (in a 1 gig kit) and having them both
faulty in the same way ?

Ben

Ben

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <426d0a2e$0$26344$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ben took 30 lines to utter:
>
> >I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
> >bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that

it's a
> >driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

> The non-paged area of RAM should NOT be used by external drivers -- it
> is used exclusively by core system code -- so that doesn't seem to be

likely.

> <snip>
>
> >I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

> That does not *prove* that your RAM is fine. What is likely, here, is

that
> there is a serious problem with either: RAM, damaged hard drive (which
> can cause faulty code), or a rogue utility (Norton/Symantec?) putting code
> where it should not be.

Thanks for that. I've reinstalled XP on a spare 15 gig ide and it still
falls over, so going on your thoughts above would seem to point to memory...
but, I've run with just one strip in slot 1 or 3, and with both strips in 2
and 3 or in 1 and 2 and it still falls over ?
There are no other programme even loaded. It's a clean reformatted drive
with just Xp (sp1) no other devices attached apart from one CD drive to load
xp.
Could this error be down to the cpu ? but that give random errors wouldn't
it ?

Ben

Morgan

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:10:04 +0100, "Ben"
<zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In <426d0a2e$0$26344$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Ben took 30 lines to utter:
>>
>> >I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
>> >bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that

>it's a
>> >driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

>Ben

I've had that same error caused by a corrupt system file. Chkdsk
fixed it.

°Mike°

In <426e0551$0$26345$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben took 39 lines to utter:

<snip>

>Thanks for that. I've reinstalled XP on a spare 15 gig ide and it still
>falls over, so going on your thoughts above would seem to point to memory...
>but, I've run with just one strip in slot 1 or 3, and with both strips in 2
>and 3 or in 1 and 2 and it still falls over ?
>There are no other programme even loaded. It's a clean reformatted drive
>with just Xp (sp1) no other devices attached apart from one CD drive to load
>xp.
>Could this error be down to the cpu ? but that give random errors wouldn't
>it ?
>
>Ben

You need to rule out the RAM first -- you've already ruled out the
hard drive (presumably) -- it's always possible that BOTH strips
are bad.

--
Basic computer maintenance