Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox Browser Won't Open After Failed Updating Attempt: Need Help With Error Msg., Please

Firefox Browser Won't Open After Failed Updating Attempt: Need Help With Error Msg., Please

Robert11

Hello:

Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
window on the Browser's front page.

Big mistake.
Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.

Whenever I try to open it up, I get the following window with an error msg.:

"This program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
complete. Please restart"

I tried shutting the PC off, and then rebooting, but the msg still comes up
whenever I try to open Firefox.

Tried logging off, and also switching users.
The new User also gets the error msg.

Also tried Control Alt Del, but it does not solve the problem

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Really stumped on what else to
try.

Thanks,
Bob

°Mike°

Go into Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs and try
to uninstall Firefox from there, and then reboot.

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert11 took 29 lines to utter:

>Hello:
>
>Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
>window on the Browser's front page.
>
>Big mistake.
>Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
>programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:

> Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
> window on the Browser's front page.

> Big mistake.
> Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
> programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.

> Whenever I try to open it up, I get the following window with an error msg.:

> "This program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
> complete. Please restart"

> I tried shutting the PC off, and then rebooting, but the msg still comes up
> whenever I try to open Firefox.

> Tried logging off, and also switching users.
> The new User also gets the error msg.

> Also tried Control Alt Del, but it does not solve the problem

> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Really stumped on what else to
> try.

netscape.public.mozilla.browsers

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

cineman

It did this to me , but after a couple of days, it suddenly worked ok.

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
> window on the Browser's front page.
>
> Big mistake.
> Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
> programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.
>
> Whenever I try to open it up, I get the following window with an error

msg.:

> "This program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
> complete. Please restart"
>
> I tried shutting the PC off, and then rebooting, but the msg still comes

up
> whenever I try to open Firefox.
>
> Tried logging off, and also switching users.
> The new User also gets the error msg.
>
> Also tried Control Alt Del, but it does not solve the problem
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Really stumped on what else to
> try.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Dennis Turner

On 4/23/2005 5:24 PM or thereabouts, Robert11 appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

> Hello:
>
> Tried updating my Firefox Browser to latest version as they suggested in a
> window on the Browser's front page.
>
> Big mistake.
> Halfway thru the updating process, it asked me to shut down any running
> programs which i attempted to do. Now I can't get it to work at all.
>
> Whenever I try to open it up, I get the following window with an error msg.:
>
> "This program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
> complete. Please restart"
>
> I tried shutting the PC off, and then rebooting, but the msg still comes up
> whenever I try to open Firefox.
>
> Tried logging off, and also switching users.
> The new User also gets the error msg.
>
> Also tried Control Alt Del, but it does not solve the problem
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Really stumped on what else to
> try.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Best advice is to download the newest version at http://www.mozilla.org
Install the new version. It will ask if you wish to completely delete
the old one. Tell it yes. You should be good to go. By the way, all
install programs tell you to close any open programs. This warning can
be safely ignored.

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.

trout

Dennis Turner wrote:

> Best advice is to download the newest version at
> http://www.mozilla.org Install the new version. It will ask if you
> wish to completely delete the old one. Tell it yes.

Hmm. I installed this way, and didn't receive that prompt. It just
installed over the old version without comment.

> You should be
> good to go. By the way, all install programs tell you to close any
> open programs. This warning can be safely ignored.

I guess that's more true these days. But if you've got a crappy old
computer like mine, where resources are so limited that the screen dims
when it switches from AM to PM, closing other programs is still a good
idea.
--
Okay, a *slight* exaggeration.

burris

trout wrote:
> Dennis Turner wrote:
>

>>Best advice is to download the newest version at
>>http://www.mozilla.org Install the new version. It will ask if you
>>wish to completely delete the old one. Tell it yes.

> Hmm. I installed this way, and didn't receive that prompt. It just
> installed over the old version without comment.

I think that it depends on which version you download...exe self-install
or zip.

The self install should give you this message but the zip usually
doesn't as it isn't really installing anything until you unzip it to a
temp file first.