Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FIREFOX will not start, unless Internet Explorer started first?

FIREFOX will not start, unless Internet Explorer started first?

lbbss

It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from cable to
DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I first start
Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just hangs in the
background, but the browser window does not open. If I try to open IE while
firefox is hanging, if will not open window either. If I hit alt-cont
delete, I see firefox is running in the background.
This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running in the background and
then load IE, then firefox, then no problem. Any idea why that would
happen. Where do I start? thanks

P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it down, but it
did not make a difference.

Sultan

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:426a6d57$1_1
@news.cybersurf.net:

> It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from
> cable to DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I
> first start Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just
> hangs in the background, but the browser window does not open. If

> try to open IE while firefox is hanging, if will not open window
> either. If I hit alt-cont delete, I see firefox is running in the
> background. This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running

in
> the background and then load IE, then firefox, then no problem.

Any
> idea why that would happen. Where do I start? thanks
>
> P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it

down,
> but it did not make a difference.

It is more than likely a plugin causing your problem - try starting
your Firefox browser in safemode - not Windows SafeMode - Firefox
Safe mode - you should see the entry in its programs group. Disable
all plugins and readd one by one until you find the culprit. A work
pc had a dcom plugin that caused this behavior.

--

Sultan

lbbss

I tried firefox.exe -safe-mode but that did not work. Makes sense since I
only have google bar installed. As for themes, I only have the "firefox
(defaul) 2.0 theme that comes with firefox 1.0.3.

> > It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from
> > cable to DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I
> > first start Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just
> > hangs in the background, but the browser window does not open. If

> > try to open IE while firefox is hanging, if will not open window
> > either. If I hit alt-cont delete, I see firefox is running in the
> > background. This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running

> in
> > the background and then load IE, then firefox, then no problem.

> Any
> > idea why that would happen. Where do I start? thanks
> >
> > P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it

> down,
> > but it did not make a difference.
> >

> It is more than likely a plugin causing your problem - try starting
> your Firefox browser in safemode - not Windows SafeMode - Firefox
> Safe mode - you should see the entry in its programs group. Disable
> all plugins and readd one by one until you find the culprit. A work
> pc had a dcom plugin that caused this behavior.
>

> --
>
> Sultan

°Mike°

Uninstall Firefox and completely remove it's folder from
"Program Files". Reboot and then reinstall Firefox.

In <426a6d57$(E-Mail Removed)>,
lbbss took 17 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

lbbss wrote:

> I tried firefox.exe -safe-mode but that did not work. Makes sense since I
> only have google bar installed. As for themes, I only have the "firefox
> (defaul) 2.0 theme that comes with firefox 1.0.3.

Have you considered a moz newsgroup?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Sultan

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:426a724b$3_1
@news.cybersurf.net:

> I tried firefox.exe -safe-mode but that did not work. Makes

sense
> since I only have google bar installed. As for themes, I only

have
> the "firefox (defaul) 2.0 theme that comes with firefox 1.0.3.
>

>> > It seems like this problem started around the time we switched

from
>> > cable to DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless

>> > first start Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it

just
>> > hangs in the background, but the browser window does not open.

If
>> > try to open IE while firefox is hanging, if will not open window
>> > either. If I hit alt-cont delete, I see firefox is running in

the
>> > background. This happens consistently. If I kill firefox

running
>> in
>> > the background and then load IE, then firefox, then no problem.

>> Any
>> > idea why that would happen. Where do I start? thanks
>> >
>> > P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it

>> down,
>> > but it did not make a difference.
>> >

>> It is more than likely a plugin causing your problem - try

starting
>> your Firefox browser in safemode - not Windows SafeMode - Firefox
>> Safe mode - you should see the entry in its programs group.

Disable
>> all plugins and readd one by one until you find the culprit. A

work
>> pc had a dcom plugin that caused this behavior.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Sultan

Have you tried reinstalling? Are you using 1.0.3?

--

Sultan

lbbss

Occasionally it will not even start after IE. So I kill firefox that is
hanging a couple of time, then it finnally works. I even uninstalled
google toolbar but that did not help either.

> > It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from
> > cable to DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I
> > first start Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just
> > hangs in the background, but the browser window does not open. If

> > try to open IE while firefox is hanging, if will not open window
> > either. If I hit alt-cont delete, I see firefox is running in the
> > background. This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running

> in
> > the background and then load IE, then firefox, then no problem.

> Any
> > idea why that would happen. Where do I start? thanks
> >
> > P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it

> down,
> > but it did not make a difference.
> >

> It is more than likely a plugin causing your problem - try starting
> your Firefox browser in safemode - not Windows SafeMode - Firefox
> Safe mode - you should see the entry in its programs group. Disable
> all plugins and readd one by one until you find the culprit. A work
> pc had a dcom plugin that caused this behavior.
>

> --
>
> Sultan

lbbss

I tried your suggestion, but still the same problem. Firefox will only
load after loading IE. I even tried an older version of firefox with no
luck. after uninstalling firefox there were still some mozilla folder
left, so I renamed it, just to be safe. Although I was surprised when I
reinstalled firefox my old bookmarks were still there (and it did not pull
them from IE).

So now I am at a loss.

> In <426a6d57$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> lbbss took 17 lines to utter:
>
> >It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from cable

> >DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I first start
> >Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just hangs in the
> >background, but the browser window does not open. If I try to open IE

while
> >firefox is hanging, if will not open window either. If I hit alt-cont
> >delete, I see firefox is running in the background.
> >This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running in the background

and
> >then load IE, then firefox, then no problem. Any idea why that would
> >happen. Where do I start? thanks
> >
> >P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it down, but

it
> >did not make a difference.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Barney

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
writtennews:426a6d57$(E-Mail Removed):

> It seems like this problem started around the time we switched
> from cable to DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start
> unless I first start Internet explorer. If I start firefox first,
> it just hangs in the background, but the browser window does not
> open. If I try to open IE while firefox is hanging, if will not
> open window either. If I hit alt-cont delete, I see firefox is
> running in the background. This happens consistently. If I kill
> firefox running in the background and then load IE, then firefox,
> then no problem. Any idea why that would happen. Where do I
> start? thanks
>
> P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it
> down, but it did not make a difference.

Remove Zone Alarm and try again. Which browser is the default?
Trying setting one or the other in opposition to what you have now.
I have had FF run in the background before, but never found the
cause. It happened after I update it. I can't specify why and all
seemed okay after I rebooted. I am on dial-up.

--
Barney __________________________
Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

°Mike°

Your bookmarks were still there because they are stored in:
\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Mozilla

Try this: boot into Safe Mode and open Windows Explorer to
\Windows\ and then delete the 'Prefetch' folder.
If you don't mind losing your Firefox settings, delete the
Mozilla folder from Application Data, as above -- export
your bookmarks first. Now, uninstall FireFox again, and
then boot back into Normal mode.

Repair Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Once you have done that, REDOWNLOAD and reinstall
FireFox.

If you still have problems, scan your system for malware
and viruses with UP TO DATE scanners.

In <426a9ff1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
lbbss took 35 lines to utter:

>I tried your suggestion, but still the same problem. Firefox will only
>load after loading IE. I even tried an older version of firefox with no
>luck. after uninstalling firefox there were still some mozilla folder
>left, so I renamed it, just to be safe. Although I was surprised when I
>reinstalled firefox my old bookmarks were still there (and it did not pull
>them from IE).
>
>So now I am at a loss.
>
>> In <426a6d57$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> lbbss took 17 lines to utter:
>>
>> >It seems like this problem started around the time we switched from cable

>> >DSL service. On boot up firefox will not start unless I first start
>> >Internet explorer. If I start firefox first, it just hangs in the
>> >background, but the browser window does not open. If I try to open IE

>while
>> >firefox is hanging, if will not open window either. If I hit alt-cont
>> >delete, I see firefox is running in the background.
>> >This happens consistently. If I kill firefox running in the background

>and
>> >then load IE, then firefox, then no problem. Any idea why that would
>> >happen. Where do I start? thanks
>> >
>> >P.s. I thought Zone alarm was blocking it somehow, so I shut it down, but

>it
>> >did not make a difference.
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

internet Explorer started to hang? VK Computer Support 8 03-17-2010 08:25 AM
Unless unless Gábor SEBESTYÉN Ruby 3 06-17-2005 08:54 AM
Why crawler don't get to my aspx page unless the Work Process is started? Nicolas ASP .Net 0 01-28-2005 01:58 AM

Advertisments