Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clean up my Hard drive before selling it. Clean Registry? what else?

Clean up my Hard drive before selling it. Clean Registry? what else?

baaab

I backup all my data from my old computer and then deleted from hd. I
deleted my cookies, history and bookmarks. What else can I to get rid of my
personal info. Is there such a thing as registry cleaner that gets rid of
personal info like passwords. There are certain things that autocomplete
that are in the registry. I don't have anything top secret on my system,
but it would be nice to find a utility program that makes cleaning up quick
and easy. thanks.

Paul S

baaab wrote:
> I backup all my data from my old computer and then deleted from hd. I
> deleted my cookies, history and bookmarks. What else can I to get rid of my
> personal info. Is there such a thing as registry cleaner that gets rid of
> personal info like passwords. There are certain things that autocomplete
> that are in the registry. I don't have anything top secret on my system,
> but it would be nice to find a utility program that makes cleaning up quick
> and easy. thanks.

There are so many places where personal info is kept, your best bet is a
complete reinstall.

--
See what I am selling (if you have nothing better to do that is!!!):
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Smarter-org-uk

Martik

Do a full format, better still a safe erase. Read here:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...0s03/10s03.asp

Parko

baaab wrote:
> I backup all my data from my old computer and then deleted from hd. I
> deleted my cookies, history and bookmarks. What else can I to get rid of my
> personal info. Is there such a thing as registry cleaner that gets rid of
> personal info like passwords. There are certain things that autocomplete
> that are in the registry. I don't have anything top secret on my system,
> but it would be nice to find a utility program that makes cleaning up quick
> and easy. thanks.

De-gauss it. Or Eraser, 35 sweeps should do the trick, if you want to
hang around a while.

--
Parko
It's true. It's true. I saw the de-gauss trick done on a US crime shooo.

ProfGene

Paul S wrote:
> baaab wrote:
>
>> I backup all my data from my old computer and then deleted from hd. I
>> deleted my cookies, history and bookmarks. What else can I to get rid
>> of my
>> personal info. Is there such a thing as registry cleaner that gets
>> rid of
>> personal info like passwords. There are certain things that
>> autocomplete
>> that are in the registry. I don't have anything top secret on my
>> system,
>> but it would be nice to find a utility program that makes cleaning up
>> quick
>> and easy. thanks.
>>

> There are so many places where personal info is kept, your best bet is a
> complete reinstall.

There is a registry cleaner but here should be no passwords in the
registry. They are in Windows as pwd files which you can safely delete.

Demmpa

ProfGene wrote:
> Paul S wrote:
>
>> baaab wrote:
>>
>>> I backup all my data from my old computer and then deleted from hd. I
>>> deleted my cookies, history and bookmarks. What else can I to get rid
>>> of my
>>> personal info. Is there such a thing as registry cleaner that gets
>>> rid of
>>> personal info like passwords. There are certain things that
>>> autocomplete
>>> that are in the registry. I don't have anything top secret on my
>>> system,
>>> but it would be nice to find a utility program that makes cleaning up
>>> quick
>>> and easy. thanks.
>>>

>> There are so many places where personal info is kept, your best bet is
>> a complete reinstall.
>>

> There is a registry cleaner but here should be no passwords in the
> registry. They are in Windows as pwd files which you can safely delete.

Pwd-files is only on win9x/me not in win2k/XP

--
/
Demmpa