Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shorter wire will increase my DSL speed?

Shorter wire will increase my DSL speed?

lbbss

Will a shorter phone wire or shorter network wire make a difference to my
DSL internet speed?
Phone wire has a spliter and a 25ft wire. My network wire is 6ft.

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will a shorter phone wire or shorter network wire make a difference to
> my
> DSL internet speed?
> Phone wire has a spliter and a 25ft wire. My network wire is 6ft.

Only if you move closer to your telco's trunk station to shorten THAT
wire.

JANA

If you are using a good telephone extension wire, this is the best you can
do in your home. There is a large distance between you and the telephone
company's equipment.

Your NIC wires from the modem, routers, and switches will not make any
difference. Your internal network can be 10 or 100 T. Your internet service
is probably less than the equivalent of about 2 to 4 T at its very best.

If you want to go a lot extra with your internal telephone wiring, you can
have a wire run in from the telephone entry of your home, directly to your
high speed modem. You can ask the installer to use CAT-5 instead of the
standard JKT-Station Z, or JK-Twisted pair wire that they normaly use. There
may not be much difference that would be worth the extra expense. The main
losses are between the network location and your home. Only if your
telephone wiring in the house is very bad, will new wiring make any
difference.

Just make sure that every phone in your home has the proper line filter on
it. The carrier for the high speed internet service is at a high frequency.
This telephone filter is a low pass type filter, thus only allowing the
lower frequencies to pass to the phone. Only frequencies below 7 to 10 kHz
are allowed to pass it.

The high speed modem has a high pass filter built on to its circuit board,
to reject all the low frequency part of the audio spectrum. It rejects
anything above 10 kHz.

Excellent Speed Test:
http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/test_0600.asp

When testing the performance speed, any delays from traffic or congestion
will effect the readings. If you try this test at different times, the
readings will usually be different. The rate of speed change can be drastic
at some times of the day.

--

JANA
_____

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Will a shorter phone wire or shorter network wire make a difference to my
DSL internet speed?
Phone wire has a spliter and a 25ft wire. My network wire is 6ft.

Blinky the Shark

lbbss wrote:

> Will a shorter phone wire or shorter network wire make a difference to
> my DSL internet speed? Phone wire has a spliter and a 25ft wire. My
> network wire is 6ft.

By my math, and given the speed of light and the flow of electricity,
you will gain roughly a whopping 0.000000001 seconds for every foot of
cable you shave. That's at a speed of 982,080,000 feet per second.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> By my math, and given the speed of light and the flow of electricity,
> you will gain roughly a whopping 0.000000001 seconds for every foot of
> cable you shave. That's at a speed of 982,080,000 feet per second.

So then that would actually be ~ 0.0000000009821 of second, not the
liberally biased 0.000000001 you espoused. But none of this relates to
his subject matter. He's not talking about how soon it gets to him, but
the bandwidth of the data stream.

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> By my math, and given the speed of light and the flow of electricity,
>> you will gain roughly a whopping 0.000000001 seconds for every foot of
>> cable you shave. That's at a speed of 982,080,000 feet per second.

> So then that would actually be ~ 0.0000000009821 of second, not the
> liberally biased 0.000000001 you espoused. But none of this relates to
> his subject matter. He's not talking about how soon it gets to him, but
> the bandwidth of the data stream.

Well, he didn't *say* "if I used fatter cable".

--

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> By my math, and given the speed of light and the flow of electricity,
>> you will gain roughly a whopping 0.000000001 seconds for every foot of
>> cable you shave. That's at a speed of 982,080,000 feet per second.

> So then that would actually be ~ 0.0000000009821 of second, not the
> liberally biased 0.000000001 you espoused. But none of this relates to

And no, my figure represents one 982,080,000th of a second and yours
doesn't. Less rounded: 0.000000001018246986. C'mon, divide 1 by the
speed in fps.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

PuppyKatt

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will a shorter phone wire or shorter network wire make a difference to my
> DSL internet speed?
> Phone wire has a spliter and a 25ft wire. My network wire is 6ft.

That is what my ISP is trying to tell me. When we have connectivity
problems, the first thing they ask is "How long is the phone cord that runs
from the modem to the wall plug?" The next question is "Are you using a
router?"
They insist that our phone cord should not be longer than 6 feet, but that
the network cables can be any length. It is not possible to use a shorter
phone cord, as the wall jacks are located in locations close to heat
sources, at corners, etc. and the layout of our home makes it impossible to
set up the computers near these wall jacks. Also, we would have cords
running all over the place, making for great opportunities to trip and get
hurt, or pull things off of desks and tables. The only feasible option is
to get the Tech support people to install a new wall jack near the modem.
That is not really an option for us, because we do not have the $95.00 to
pay for this. So, we put up with erratic and slow connections.

Not Me

"PuppyKatt"

| That is what my ISP is trying to tell me. When we have connectivity
| problems, the first thing they ask is "How long is the phone cord that
runs
| from the modem to the wall plug?" The next question is "Are you using a
| router?"
| They insist that our phone cord should not be longer than 6 feet, but that
| the network cables can be any length. It is not possible to use a shorter
| phone cord, as the wall jacks are located in locations close to heat
| sources, at corners, etc. and the layout of our home makes it impossible
| set up the computers near these wall jacks. Also, we would have cords
| running all over the place, making for great opportunities to trip and get
| hurt, or pull things off of desks and tables. The only feasible option is
| to get the Tech support people to install a new wall jack near the modem.
| That is not really an option for us, because we do not have the $95.00 to
| pay for this. So, we put up with erratic and slow connections.

Might TEMPORARILY move the 'puter so you can test with a 6 ft link. I doubt
it will make any difference.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
And no, my figure represents one 982,080,000th of a second and yours
> doesn't. Less rounded: 0.000000001018246986. C'mon, divide 1 by the
> speed in fps.

Awright, I'll give you this one. 1.018246985988921472792440534376e-9 is
what I get, but what's a few trillionths of a second between carnivores, eh?