Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I find out if I can upgarde the motehrboard in my computer?

How do I find out if I can upgarde the motehrboard in my computer?

Marc

Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

Marc

Old Gringo

Marc wrote:
> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.
>
> Marc

Might try one of these??
http://motherboard.quickdirectory.org/

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Marc wrote:
> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

Rather than do a search for that model, let me ask, why would a $50-75
case make the difference in a major upgrade? If you're redoing the
motherboard and probably the CPU and RAM too, go the few extra bucks for
a new case/power supply.

Plato

Marc wrote:

> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

No website as far as I know. You really need a feel and experience with
working with pcs to know if a standard motherboard will fit into a
proprietary case.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Blinky the Shark

Plato wrote:

> Marc wrote:

>> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
>> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.

> No website as far as I know. You really need a feel and experience with
> working with pcs to know if a standard motherboard will fit into a
> proprietary case.

ATX should pretty much be ATX, if that's what the old one is.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Marc

I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. There are a lot of
other things that I would rather spend the money on. And I've already
thought about that!

Marc

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marc wrote:
> > Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
> > cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly

thing.

> Rather than do a search for that model, let me ask, why would a $50-75
> case make the difference in a major upgrade? If you're redoing the
> motherboard and probably the CPU and RAM too, go the few extra bucks for
> a new case/power supply.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> ATX should pretty much be ATX, if that's what the old one is.

There's the rub, he said the magic words "IBM". Earlier this week I had
a guy buy a motherboard from me and I explained to him about removing
the old insert for the connectors and putting in the new. He's back
later the same day complaining that his Dell doesn't have a removeable
insert, and the connectors aren't even close to lining up. I think he
ended up taking a hacksaw to the case.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Marc wrote:
> I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. There are a lot of
> other things that I would rather spend the money on. And I've already
> thought about that!

I didn't see specific information about what motherboard might fit in
your case, but I did see newsgroup discussions about that model number
starting in 1998. You should reconsider about buying a new case/power
supply.

PC

"Marc" <mcneer(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:WaZ9e.13529$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Is there a web site that has a what mother boards will fit into certain
> cases. I have an IBM 2140 L5H and would like to upgrade the silly thing.
>
> Marc

Marc

Firstly
I would be 'very' cautious about 'asuming' your case will take another
motherboard.
IBM (along with HP, Compaq and Dell and others) are renown for building
proprietry PC's that cannot take other brand/model components, motherboards
in particular. Realistically you will have to line the new motherboard up
inside the old case before you know if it will fit correctly. Most tech
types will tell you it's very unlikely it will fit without case mods. (see
the Dell story above)

Secondly
Do be aware that upgrading your motherboard may also require changing most
of the other components eg Ram, CPU, Power Supply (IBM/HP/Compaq one's are
usually only just powerfull enough for the old motherboard, adding a
gruntier motherboard usually means it dies very quickly after the upgrade if
it copes at all)
Also don't forget to add the cost of a new copy of your OS (Windows?) as the
old copy is more than likely tied to the Bios in your old motherboard. This
means when you go to reinstall the Restore disk says 'not an IBM PC' and
quits.

Paul.

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> ATX should pretty much be ATX, if that's what the old one is.

> There's the rub, he said the magic words "IBM". Earlier this week I had

As I said "pretty much".

> a guy buy a motherboard from me and I explained to him about removing
> the old insert for the connectors and putting in the new. He's back
> later the same day complaining that his Dell doesn't have a removeable
> insert, and the connectors aren't even close to lining up. I think he
> ended up taking a hacksaw to the case.

Ow.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263