Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hyperthreading technology; ON or OFF

Hyperthreading technology; ON or OFF

Patrick Cleburne

The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed to
take advantage of that technology will run faster.

But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?

Cleburne

doS

depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
else, leave it on.

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
news:g1Y9e.11168$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed

> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
>
> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
>
> Cleburne

Blinky the Shark

doS wrote:

> depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
> else, leave it on.

Sounds pretty all-inclusive.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

doS

It is, I mean, that was the kicker to buy the cpu in the first place.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> doS wrote:
>
> > depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
> > else, leave it on.

> Sounds pretty all-inclusive.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
> Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

WormWood

Damn, you're good, doS )

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it
> on,anything
> else, leave it on.
>
> "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote:
>> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
>> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been
>> designed

>> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
>>
>> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
>>
>> Cleburne

Patrick Cleburne

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qlY9e.5050$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
> news:g1Y9e.11168$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
>> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
>> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed

>> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
>>
>> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
>>
>> Cleburne

> depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
> else, leave it on.

I'm not sure what you're saying here...

Cleburne

Dave Lear

"Patrick Cleburne" wrote in message
news:g1Y9e.11168$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net

> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer.
> I understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been
> designed to take advantage of that technology will run faster.

Indeed they will. If you want a more quantative analysis than that download
yourself a copy of 3D Mark 05...
http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml

Run a full benchmark with HyperThreading OFF
Run a full benchmark with HyperThreading ON

I got around 10% overall increase with HyperThreading ON.

Basically, if you use an O/S that understands multiple processors (e.g.
WinXP Pro) then a P4 HT is seen as two processors.

> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?

Not that I've seen, no.

doS

aw shucks........

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Damn, you're good, doS )
>

> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it
> > on,anything
> > else, leave it on.
> >
> > "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote:
> >> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
> >> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been
> >> designed

> >> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
> >>
> >> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
> >>
> >> Cleburne

doS

LEAVE IT ON

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
newsh5ae.14010$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qlY9e.5050$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
> > news:g1Y9e.11168$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> >> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
> >> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been

designed
> >> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
> >>
> >> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
> >>
> >> Cleburne

> > depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
> > else, leave it on.
> >

> I'm not sure what you're saying here...
>
> Cleburne

odielag odielag is offline
Junior Member

I couldn't post a link, Forum fail.

If you google: When hyperthreading is enabled, all the processors are virtual

the third link with msdn in the address Disagrees with this whole thread.