Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Screensaver

Screensaver

Pat

When my PC (XP Home, SP 2) is left idle, my screensaver comes on after 10
minutes, which is what it is set to do. I usually leave it on OE when it is
idle. I noticed some time ago that every now and then the screensaver goes
off and OE is displayed again. Today, out of curiosity I kept an eye on it
and discovered that OE is displayed for 10 minutes then screensaver comes on
for 5 minutes then OE is back for another 10 minutes then screensaver for
another 5 minutes and so it goes on. At first I thought maybe there was a
virus, but I am always doing virus and spyware checks on a very regular
basis and nothing shows up. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it normal?

Morgan Pugh

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:23:48 +0100, "Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When my PC (XP Home, SP 2) is left idle, my screensaver comes on after 10
>minutes, which is what it is set to do. I usually leave it on OE when it is
>idle. I noticed some time ago that every now and then the screensaver goes
>off and OE is displayed again. Today, out of curiosity I kept an eye on it
>and discovered that OE is displayed for 10 minutes then screensaver comes on
>for 5 minutes then OE is back for another 10 minutes then screensaver for
>another 5 minutes and so it goes on. At first I thought maybe there was a
>virus, but I am always doing virus and spyware checks on a very regular
>basis and nothing shows up. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it normal?

I don't use OE so I can't tell you for sure but if it is consistent
then perhaps it is OE automatically checking for new mail that is
taking the computer out of idle state?

Pat

My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute, so I
don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes, but thanks
for the thought anyway.

"Morgan Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:23:48 +0100, "Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>When my PC (XP Home, SP 2) is left idle, my screensaver comes on after 10
>>minutes, which is what it is set to do. I usually leave it on OE when it
>>is
>>idle. I noticed some time ago that every now and then the screensaver goes
>>off and OE is displayed again. Today, out of curiosity I kept an eye on it
>>and discovered that OE is displayed for 10 minutes then screensaver comes
>>on
>>for 5 minutes then OE is back for another 10 minutes then screensaver for
>>another 5 minutes and so it goes on. At first I thought maybe there was a
>>virus, but I am always doing virus and spyware checks on a very regular
>>basis and nothing shows up. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it
>>normal?
>>

> I don't use OE so I can't tell you for sure but if it is consistent
> then perhaps it is OE automatically checking for new mail that is
> taking the computer out of idle state?

°Mike°

In <d46ljh$hag$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Pat took 28 lines to utter:

>My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute,

Holy ****! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
or more.

>so I don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes,
>but thanks for the thought anyway.

It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
Monitor:
http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
http://www.geeba.org/magic/

Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
today's monitors.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Pat

Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute. Never
had any problems YET.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <d46ljh$hag$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Pat took 28 lines to utter:
>
>>My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute,

> Holy ****! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
> they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
> overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
> or more.
>
>>so I don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes,
>>but thanks for the thought anyway.

> It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
> try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
> Monitor:
> http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.geeba.org/magic/
>
> Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
> purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
> you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
> today's monitors.
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

steves-place@bigun.serverbox.org

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d47ij2$h0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
> this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute. Never
> had any problems YET.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In <d46ljh$hag$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Pat took 28 lines to utter:
> >
> >>My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute,

> > Holy ****! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
> > they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
> > overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
> > or more.
> >
> >>so I don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes,
> >>but thanks for the thought anyway.

> > It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
> > try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
> > Monitor:
> > http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
> > http://www.geeba.org/magic/
> >
> > Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
> > purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
> > you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
> > today's monitors.

ar yes but have they got a lcd or tft monitor??

Pat

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:kDK9e.176$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d47ij2$h0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
>> this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute.
>> Never
>> had any problems YET.
>>

>> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In <d46ljh$hag$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > Pat took 28 lines to utter:

>> > Holy ****! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
>> > they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
>> > overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
>> > or more.

>> > It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
>> > try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
>> > Monitor:
>> > http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
>> > http://www.geeba.org/magic/
>> >
>> > Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
>> > purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
>> > you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
>> > today's monitors.

> ar yes but have they got a lcd or tft monitor??

I have lcd monitor.

What's This??? Another Screensaver from.... bigal The Lounge 0 03-27-2006 01:34 AM
ScreenSaver NewToDotNet ASP .Net 3 12-21-2005 07:31 PM
Official 2005 Velocity Reviews Screensaver unholy The Lounge 47 11-15-2005 09:39 PM
Apply ScreenSaver policy to computer accounts austbear MCSE 1 11-03-2005 12:25 AM
screensaver for IP phone Ivan Ostres Cisco 2 11-04-2003 03:01 PM

Advertisments