Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cvntcmd.exe - windows startup problem.

cvntcmd.exe - windows startup problem.

its_my_dime

Windows XP. Starting up gives a windows that says: cvntcmd.exe needs to
shut down.

Found this file referenced in the registry under:
Software/Microsoft/Windows/Shellnoroam/muicache.

It refers to the file which is supposed to be in: c:/winnt/system32 but it
isn't there or anywhere else on the hard drive. Dr. Watson indicates that I
have an access violation exception. (the file is on the task list).

(I'm not a techie but it looks like Windows has been instructed to open the
file, can't find it and is unhappy.)

How do I find out what piece of software put it there? Can I delete the
registry entry?

Thanks.

°Mike°

I can find absolutely no information on that file. I would treat is
as very suspicious, particularly as it is referenced in the system32
folder, and scan your system for viruses and spyware/malware.

Use AT LEAST two online antivirus scanners:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Next, download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
Now maintained by InterMute
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

In <nfy9e.2082$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> took 20 lines to
utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

WormWood

Did you mean "Evntcmd.exe? "

"its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> wrote in
message news:nfy9e.2082$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows XP. Starting up gives a windows that says: cvntcmd.exe needs
> to shut down.
>
> Found this file referenced in the registry under:
> Software/Microsoft/Windows/Shellnoroam/muicache.
>
> It refers to the file which is supposed to be in: c:/winnt/system32
> but it isn't there or anywhere else on the hard drive. Dr. Watson
> indicates that I have an access violation exception. (the file is on
> the task list).
>
> (I'm not a techie but it looks like Windows has been instructed to
> open the file, can't find it and is unhappy.)
>
> How do I find out what piece of software put it there? Can I delete
> the registry entry?
>
> Thanks.

its_my_dime

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can find absolutely no information on that file. I would treat is
> as very suspicious, particularly as it is referenced in the system32
> folder, and scan your system for viruses and spyware/malware.
>
> Use AT LEAST two online antivirus scanners:
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
> http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
>
> Next, download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
> have the latest version of removal tools:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
> Now maintained by InterMute
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
> http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
>

> In <nfy9e.2082$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> took 20 lines
> utter:
>
>>Windows XP. Starting up gives a windows that says: cvntcmd.exe needs to
>>shut down.
>>
>>Found this file referenced in the registry under:
>>Software/Microsoft/Windows/Shellnoroam/muicache.
>>
>>It refers to the file which is supposed to be in: c:/winnt/system32 but it
>>isn't there or anywhere else on the hard drive. Dr. Watson indicates that
>>have an access violation exception. (the file is on the task list).
>>
>>(I'm not a techie but it looks like Windows has been instructed to open
>>the
>>file, can't find it and is unhappy.)
>>
>>How do I find out what piece of software put it there? Can I delete the
>>registry entry?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

I don't seem to have this file on my computer, only the reference to it in
the registry. And norton, adaware and spybot say I'm clean. Maybe
something deposited these instructions into the registry but the file was
removed by an AV program. And re the next post,er I do have the name
correct.

°Mike°

In <zjz9e.10724$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> took 78 lines to
utter:

<snip>

>I don't seem to have this file on my computer, only the reference to it in
>the registry.

How can that be? Your original post said that Windows reports it
as needing to shut down -- it HAS to run if it needs to shut down.

> And norton, adaware and spybot say I'm clean.

So what? They could be missing it. Either take my advice, or don't.

>Maybe something deposited these instructions into the registry but the
>file was removed by an AV program.

Maybe you need to be either more specific, re. error messages, or
you need to be more concerned about finding the faulting file.

>And re the next post,er I do have the name correct.

--
Basic computer maintenance

WormWood

"its_my_dime" wrote
> "°Mike°" wrote:

"its_my_dime" wrote
<snip>

And re the next post,er I do have the name
> correct.

Duly noted. Thanks

its_my_dime

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <zjz9e.10724$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> took 78 lines
> utter:
>
> <snip>
>
>>I don't seem to have this file on my computer, only the reference to it in
>>the registry.

> How can that be? Your original post said that Windows reports it
> as needing to shut down -- it HAS to run if it needs to shut down.
>
>> And norton, adaware and spybot say I'm clean.

> So what? They could be missing it. Either take my advice, or don't.
>
>>Maybe something deposited these instructions into the registry but the
>>file was removed by an AV program.

> Maybe you need to be either more specific, re. error messages, or
> you need to be more concerned about finding the faulting file.
>
>>And re the next post,er I do have the name correct.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

ERROR MESSAGE: cvntcmd.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience. ...two buttons...debug and
close...either of which removes the window.

Again, I cannot find this file anywhere on the computer but it is referenced
in the registry and, therefore, in the start-up sequence.

I have an identical computer at home with pretty much the same software but
no reference to the file.

My thought is just to do a restore point and remove the registry entries.

°Mike°

In <3QN9e.2117$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"its_my_dime" <(E-Mail Removed) (hold the spam)> took 46 lines to
utter:

<snip>

>ERROR MESSAGE: cvntcmd.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
>We are sorry for the inconvenience. ...two buttons...debug and
>close...either of which removes the window.
>
>Again, I cannot find this file anywhere on the computer but it is referenced
>in the registry and, therefore, in the start-up sequence.

It is ON your computer. Don't you get it? The error messages reads:
"cvntcmd.exe HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE".

>I have an identical computer at home with pretty much the same software but
>no reference to the file.
>
>My thought is just to do a restore point and remove the registry entries.

My thought is that you need to listen to advice, if you ask for it.

--
Basic computer maintenance