Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need advise on TV Tuner Card for Windows XP Pro MCE 2005 Edition

Reply
Thread Tools

Need advise on TV Tuner Card for Windows XP Pro MCE 2005 Edition

 
 
Arawak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
I currently have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 128M AGP card installed and
I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005.
I want to add a TV Tuner card to take advantage of the OS.
Which is the best inexpensive card you could suggest?
I have read various reviews on MCE systems which claimed problems with
Hauppauge cards and I have come across a list of compatible cards
recommended by Microsoft but wanted feedback on any experience with
homebuilt systems.
Thanks in advance.
Arawak
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Annette Kurten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005

"Arawak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I currently have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 128M AGP card installed and
> I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005.
> I want to add a TV Tuner card to take advantage of the OS.
> Which is the best inexpensive card you could suggest?
> I have read various reviews on MCE systems which claimed problems with
> Hauppauge cards and I have come across a list of compatible cards
> recommended by Microsoft but wanted feedback on any experience with
> homebuilt systems.
> Thanks in advance.
> Arawak


I don't know if this might help, but plenty of cards and reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...608942-6877459


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arawak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Arawak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I currently have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 128M AGP card installed and
>> I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005.
>> I want to add a TV Tuner card to take advantage of the OS.
>> Which is the best inexpensive card you could suggest?
>> I have read various reviews on MCE systems which claimed problems with
>> Hauppauge cards and I have come across a list of compatible cards
>> recommended by Microsoft but wanted feedback on any experience with
>> homebuilt systems.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Arawak

>
>I don't know if this might help, but plenty of cards and reviews.
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...608942-6877459


Yes I've read similar but still ovewhelmed by the choices which is why
I was looking for a specific recommendation from someone who already
has one installed which is working great.
I did appreciate the link.

Arawak

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles Linquist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005

Try


http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2...o/index.x?pg=1


You may also want to check out Beyond TV at www.snapstream.com
I'm running it, and find the feature set and interface to be better
than MCE.






On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:25:30 -0700, Arawak <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Arawak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I currently have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 128M AGP card installed and
>>> I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005.
>>> I want to add a TV Tuner card to take advantage of the OS.
>>> Which is the best inexpensive card you could suggest?
>>> I have read various reviews on MCE systems which claimed problems with
>>> Hauppauge cards and I have come across a list of compatible cards
>>> recommended by Microsoft but wanted feedback on any experience with
>>> homebuilt systems.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Arawak

>>
>>I don't know if this might help, but plenty of cards and reviews.
>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...608942-6877459

>
>Yes I've read similar but still ovewhelmed by the choices which is why
>I was looking for a specific recommendation from someone who already
>has one installed which is working great.
>I did appreciate the link.
>
>Arawak


 
Reply With Quote
 
Marc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005
I'm using the cheap Hauppauge card - the one with stereo. I believe it's one
up from cheapest.

If you get it, may be worth a call to them to get the drivers they say will
work rather than the XP ones you get with it or are normally on their Web
site.

Finally, when I started using XP, every so often the screen would go to a
scrambled picture. After a number of calls and a swapped card, they were of
no help. What worked was running the program in the 98/ME compatibility
mode. Haven't had a problem since.

FM radio that's part of the thing is quite decent. Keep in mind that you
most likely you are going to have to feed the TV part with a cable box or
something with gain. It doesn't seem to work with over the air signals.

Marc




"Charles Linquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Try
>
>
> http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2...o/index.x?pg=1
>
>
> You may also want to check out Beyond TV at www.snapstream.com
> I'm running it, and find the feature set and interface to be better
> than MCE.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:25:30 -0700, Arawak <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Arawak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>> I currently have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 128M AGP card installed and
>>>> I'm running Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005.
>>>> I want to add a TV Tuner card to take advantage of the OS.
>>>> Which is the best inexpensive card you could suggest?
>>>> I have read various reviews on MCE systems which claimed problems with
>>>> Hauppauge cards and I have come across a list of compatible cards
>>>> recommended by Microsoft but wanted feedback on any experience with
>>>> homebuilt systems.
>>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>> Arawak
>>>
>>>I don't know if this might help, but plenty of cards and reviews.
>>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...608942-6877459

>>
>>Yes I've read similar but still ovewhelmed by the choices which is why
>>I was looking for a specific recommendation from someone who already
>>has one installed which is working great.
>>I did appreciate the link.
>>
>>Arawak

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences between xp pro, xp home, and xp mce 2005 Sandythegeek2 MCDST 11 08-14-2007 02:46 PM
Poor pictures. MCE need fix to auto fine tuner. =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?= Windows 64bit 0 04-19-2007 11:42 PM
Recommendation for MCE compliant USB TV Tuner for notebook needed Arawak Computer Support 1 10-23-2006 07:41 AM
hat is a differnece between a lcd monitor with a tv tuner and a lcdtv and can u get free cable with a tv tuner sdsd A+ Certification 0 10-17-2005 08:16 AM
Windows XP Home Edition & Windows XP MCE =?Utf-8?B?VGFuamlhbg==?= Wireless Networking 1 09-17-2005 12:50 AM



Advertisments