Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > McAfee Spamkiller

McAfee Spamkiller

Atlas Shrugged

Anyone familiar with Spamkiller? I had a problem that I solved by myself
after talking with their online support personnel. They are usually very
helpful with problems. Their solutions usually come down to deleting the
user/email account and setting it up again, or uninstalling Spamkiller and
then reinstalling Spamkiller. It has worked several times for me. This
time, their solution didn't work. After deleting all of the user and email
accounts except the main one, my Outlook Express (v6.0 with WinXPSp2) still
would not connect to the Spamkiller server. The only one Spamkiller still
worked on was the main user account. (I reset up OE to download the email
directly from the ISP until I figured out the problem.)

I was intently scanning every parameter in the program, and all of a sudden
I noticed that the POP3 server port was listed as 200. I went to my Outlook
account and it said that the POP3 incoming mail port was 200. On all the
other email accounts, the port number was 110. From my little knowledge of
ports, I knew that the incoming mail was supposed to be set to 110, so I
changed it in the Spamkiller program as well as my OE account. Voila,
everything works now.

My question is: why would the POP3 server port number all of a sudden
change????? Is there a bug in Spamkiller? Has some spamster figured out
how to give people problems?

And a second question, what is XML server port number? In Spamkiller it is
listed as 2010. I could not find any reference to these terms in McAfee's
Spamkiller PDF files.

Thanks for any and all help.

Paul

x@y

Some Port Numbers,

here: http://tinyurl.com/75qyp

I am not sure if there is what You are looking for,
maybe worth a try.
Good Luck, x@y.

"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Anyone familiar with Spamkiller? I had a problem that I solved by myself
> after talking with their online support personnel. They are usually very
> helpful with problems. Their solutions usually come down to deleting the
> user/email account and setting it up again, or uninstalling Spamkiller and
> then reinstalling Spamkiller. It has worked several times for me. This
> time, their solution didn't work. After deleting all of the user and
> email accounts except the main one, my Outlook Express (v6.0 with
> WinXPSp2) still would not connect to the Spamkiller server. The only one
> Spamkiller still worked on was the main user account. (I reset up OE to
> download the email directly from the ISP until I figured out the problem.)
>
> I was intently scanning every parameter in the program, and all of a
> sudden I noticed that the POP3 server port was listed as 200. I went to
> my Outlook account and it said that the POP3 incoming mail port was 200.
> On all the other email accounts, the port number was 110. From my little
> knowledge of ports, I knew that the incoming mail was supposed to be set
> to 110, so I changed it in the Spamkiller program as well as my OE
> account. Voila, everything works now.
>
> My question is: why would the POP3 server port number all of a sudden
> change????? Is there a bug in Spamkiller? Has some spamster figured out
> how to give people problems?
>
> And a second question, what is XML server port number? In Spamkiller it
> is listed as 2010. I could not find any reference to these terms in
> McAfee's Spamkiller PDF files.
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Paul

Atlas Shrugged

Interesting, but not what I need.

Thanks.

"x@y >" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Some Port Numbers,
>
> here: http://tinyurl.com/75qyp
>
> I am not sure if there is what You are looking for,
> maybe worth a try.
> Good Luck, x@y.
>

> "Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> ..
>> Anyone familiar with Spamkiller? I had a problem that I solved by myself
>> after talking with their online support personnel. They are usually very
>> helpful with problems. Their solutions usually come down to deleting the
>> user/email account and setting it up again, or uninstalling Spamkiller
>> and then reinstalling Spamkiller. It has worked several times for me.
>> This time, their solution didn't work. After deleting all of the user
>> and email accounts except the main one, my Outlook Express (v6.0 with
>> WinXPSp2) still would not connect to the Spamkiller server. The only one
>> Spamkiller still worked on was the main user account. (I reset up OE to
>> download the email directly from the ISP until I figured out the
>> problem.)
>>
>> I was intently scanning every parameter in the program, and all of a
>> sudden I noticed that the POP3 server port was listed as 200. I went to
>> my Outlook account and it said that the POP3 incoming mail port was 200.
>> On all the other email accounts, the port number was 110. From my little
>> knowledge of ports, I knew that the incoming mail was supposed to be set
>> to 110, so I changed it in the Spamkiller program as well as my OE
>> account. Voila, everything works now.
>>
>> My question is: why would the POP3 server port number all of a sudden
>> change????? Is there a bug in Spamkiller? Has some spamster figured out
>> how to give people problems?
>>
>> And a second question, what is XML server port number? In Spamkiller it
>> is listed as 2010. I could not find any reference to these terms in
>> McAfee's Spamkiller PDF files.
>>
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>
>> Paul

x@y

You are Welcome,

"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Interesting, but not what I need.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "x@y >" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Some Port Numbers,
>>
>> here: http://tinyurl.com/75qyp
>>
>> I am not sure if there is what You are looking for,
>> maybe worth a try.
>> Good Luck, x@y.
>>

>> "Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> ..
>>> Anyone familiar with Spamkiller? I had a problem that I solved by
>>> myself after talking with their online support personnel. They are
>>> usually very helpful with problems. Their solutions usually come down
>>> to deleting the user/email account and setting it up again, or
>>> uninstalling Spamkiller and then reinstalling Spamkiller. It has worked
>>> several times for me. This time, their solution didn't work. After
>>> deleting all of the user and email accounts except the main one, my
>>> Outlook Express (v6.0 with WinXPSp2) still would not connect to the
>>> Spamkiller server. The only one Spamkiller still worked on was the main
>>> user account. (I reset up OE to download the email directly from the
>>> ISP until I figured out the problem.)
>>>
>>> I was intently scanning every parameter in the program, and all of a
>>> sudden I noticed that the POP3 server port was listed as 200. I went to
>>> my Outlook account and it said that the POP3 incoming mail port was 200.
>>> On all the other email accounts, the port number was 110. From my
>>> little knowledge of ports, I knew that the incoming mail was supposed to
>>> be set to 110, so I changed it in the Spamkiller program as well as my
>>> OE account. Voila, everything works now.
>>>
>>> My question is: why would the POP3 server port number all of a sudden
>>> change????? Is there a bug in Spamkiller? Has some spamster figured
>>> out how to give people problems?
>>>
>>> And a second question, what is XML server port number? In Spamkiller it
>>> is listed as 2010. I could not find any reference to these terms in
>>> McAfee's Spamkiller PDF files.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>>
>>> Paul

Stingingfork Stingingfork is offline
Junior Member

I've been using McAfee Internet Security Suite for about nine months with Vista OS but within the past six months I started getting error messages concerning the McAfee Spam Killer. Just this week it started preventing Windows Live Mail from starting via a msmail.dll error. At first I didn't know it was McAfee causing the Live Mail problem. I searched out the error message from Live Mail on the web only to find that most people tried re-installing Live Mail but with limited success, I then decided to disable any software that connected with my Live Mail such as McAfee scanning my incoming and outgoing mail as well as the Spamkiller and I got my Live Mail up and working again. I then limited the McAfee to just scanning for viruses and left the Spamkiller disabled and the Live Mail program still works fine. My advice is until McAfee admits and fixes their problem with Spamkiller you should look for another spamming software.