Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Office Professional 97 vs Office Professional 2000 SR-1

Office Professional 97 vs Office Professional 2000 SR-1

Me/PDX

On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I purchased.

I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for distribution with
a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was registered to their Dell that
is no longer in use.

What are the implications if:

(1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without trying to
register it?

(2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?

(3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it?

(4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it
and get updates for it?

Your advice is appreciated!!!!!

JANA

Version has newer enhancements than 97.

--

JANA
_____

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i5C8e.862$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I purchased.
>
> I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for distribution

with
> a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was registered to their Dell

that
> is no longer in use.
>
> What are the implications if:
>
> (1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without trying to
> register it?
>
> (2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?
>
> (3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it?
>
> (4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it
> and get updates for it?
>
> Your advice is appreciated!!!!!

Sultan

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i5C8e.862$(E-Mail Removed):

> On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I
> purchased.
>
> I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for
> distribution with a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was
> registered to their Dell that is no longer in use.
>
> What are the implications if:
>
> (1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without

trying
> to register it?
>
> (2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?
>
> (3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and

register
> it?
>
> (4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and

register
> it and get updates for it?
>
> Your advice is appreciated!!!!!

Well - the legal answer would be that since the license is an OEM (
it came with the Dell) then the software can not be installed on
another pc - whether it is working or not. OEM license live and die
on the original pc.

The implications for all is a fine if you were caught.

--

Sultan

MrGrumpy

The other implication being, if its an early enough version, there is no
online product licence verification procedure - As you get with winxp where
if its an unlawfull copy or all ready registered you cannot update it, or in
some circumstances not use it after a period.
OEM software can often be purchased legitimately, at least its not been
tested in law. Anyway whats to say you have'nt purchased origonal sys?

"Sultan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns963BBF32DBD5Esultanofcyberhotmail@204.153. 244.170...
> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i5C8e.862$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I
> > purchased.
> >
> > I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for
> > distribution with a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was
> > registered to their Dell that is no longer in use.
> >
> > What are the implications if:
> >
> > (1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without

> trying
> > to register it?
> >
> > (2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?
> >
> > (3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and

> register
> > it?
> >
> > (4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and

> register
> > it and get updates for it?
> >
> > Your advice is appreciated!!!!!
> >

> Well - the legal answer would be that since the license is an OEM (
> it came with the Dell) then the software can not be installed on
> another pc - whether it is working or not. OEM license live and die
> on the original pc.
>
> The implications for all is a fine if you were caught.
>
> --
>
> Sultan

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Sultan wrote:
> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i5C8e.862$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I
>> purchased.
>>
>> I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for
>> distribution with a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was
>> registered to their Dell that is no longer in use.
>>
>> What are the implications if:
>>
>> (1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without trying
>> to register it?
>>
>> (2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?
>>
>> (3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and
>> register it?
>>
>> (4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and
>> register it and get updates for it?
>>
>> Your advice is appreciated!!!!!
>>

> Well - the legal answer would be that since the license is an OEM (
> it came with the Dell) then the software can not be installed on
> another pc - whether it is working or not. OEM license live and die
> on the original pc.
>
> The implications for all is a fine if you were caught.

MS introduced activation beginning with Office 2000 with SP1 already
included. Chances are the version the OP has will require activation.