Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Arithmetic Libraries

Arithmetic Libraries

ALuPin

Hello everybody,

can someone tell me what is the difference between
the libraries
ieee.std_logic_arith.all and
ieee.numeric_std.all ?

I am using Altera QuartusII software. Is one of the two libraries
"more recommendable" ?

Thank you in advance.

Ralf Hildebrandt

ALuPin wrote:

> can someone tell me what is the difference between
> the libraries
> ieee.std_logic_arith.all and
> ieee.numeric_std.all ?

std_logic_arith is implemented different on different simulation and
synthesis tools. Therefore it's recommended to use it.

numeric_std has not these problems. But it is a newer library. If you
share designs with other companies, that use *really old* tools, you may
get problems.

-> Take numeric_std.

Ralf