Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Start up Progs

Start up Progs

cheekycharlie

Hi
Can anyone advise me how to prevent a program eg Yahoo Messenger from
starting up everytime I boot up.
I have several other progs that are slowing my boot up time down. I ma
operating Win XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheekycharlie

Keme

cheekycharlie wrote:
> Hi
> Can anyone advise me how to prevent a program eg Yahoo Messenger from
> starting up everytime I boot up.
> I have several other progs that are slowing my boot up time down. I ma
> operating Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Cheekycharlie

Most current programs with this behaviour have a "Load program at
boot/login" entry in a settings/properties dialog. Search for that in
the program menus/tools.

Less likely but quicker to find:
Some programs will have a link in the startup part oft the start menu:
"Start - (all) programs - Startup"
The links there can be deleted, just right click, and select delete in
the context menu.

Other startup options are possible, but not used by well behaved user
programs (intended for device drivers and the like, and utilized by
intrusive programs such as virii). Removal often involves registy
editing, unless a spyware detection program regards it a threat.

Consult http://www.spywarewarrior.com for further advice.

Abbyss

Hi!
Hit START - RUN, type MSCONFIG an take a look at the STARTUP sheet.
Good luck!

Regards
Abbyss

cheekycharlie skrev:
> Hi
> Can anyone advise me how to prevent a program eg Yahoo Messenger from
> starting up everytime I boot up.
> I have several other progs that are slowing my boot up time down. I ma
> operating Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Cheekycharlie

B0B

Messenger window, Messenger, Prefereences, General, uncheck Automatically
start Yahoo Messenger

Cheers

news:d3qp1u$4up$(E-Mail Removed)...