Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Explorer.exe chokes CPU 100% during 2 mins from startup

Reply
Thread Tools

Explorer.exe chokes CPU 100% during 2 mins from startup

 
 
Maria
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2005
W98SE - 450 MHz AMD desktop. Conservatiive SwaPFileUsage set = 1.

Once booted and AFTER all 6 apps have started Explore.exe chokes the CPU 100%
during exactly 2 mins.

One of its threads, FFxxxx, utilizes 100% of CPU power to do 'something.'

Its STATE COLUMN (TaskInfo 2003) reads 'E-handlers', changing to 'Block' after 2
mins.

Then all quiet and hence good operations, CPU utilization 1-3% when idle.

It is annoying since one wants to employ the CPU hardest shortly after starting
up.

What can this be?

Any suggestions?

Ciao, Maria



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2005
There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
monitor the "Swap File in use".

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Maria took 23 lines to utter:

>W98SE - 450 MHz AMD desktop. Conservatiive SwaPFileUsage set = 1.
>
>Once booted and AFTER all 6 apps have started Explore.exe chokes the CPU 100%
>during exactly 2 mins.
>
>One of its threads, FFxxxx, utilizes 100% of CPU power to do 'something.'
>
>Its STATE COLUMN (TaskInfo 2003) reads 'E-handlers', changing to 'Block' after 2
>mins.
>
>Then all quiet and hence good operations, CPU utilization 1-3% when idle.
>
>It is annoying since one wants to employ the CPU hardest shortly after starting
>up.
>
>What can this be?
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Ciao, Maria
>
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Maria
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2005
"°Mike°" wrote:

> There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
> memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
> switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
> WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
> monitor the "Swap File in use".
>
> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Maria took 23 lines to utter:
>
> >W98SE - 450 MHz AMD desktop. Conservatiive SwaPFileUsage set = 1.
> >
> >Once booted and AFTER all 6 apps have started Explore.exe chokes the CPU 100%
> >during exactly 2 mins.
> >
> >One of its threads, FFxxxx, utilizes 100% of CPU power to do 'something.'
> >
> >Its STATE COLUMN (TaskInfo 2003) reads 'E-handlers', changing to 'Block' after 2
> >mins.
> >
> >Then all quiet and hence good operations, CPU utilization 1-3% when idle.
> >
> >It is annoying since one wants to employ the CPU hardest shortly after starting
> >up.
> >
> >What can this be?
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Ciao, Maria
> >
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


Hi MIke, the culprit appeared to be a trojan called Beagle/Bagel, trying to phone
home or do other harm.
It appears as a program file called 'winshost.exe' nesting in W:\SYSTEM.
Once discovered and killed everythiung is back to normal
Thanks, Maria


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2005
In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Maria took 45 lines to utter:

>"°Mike°" wrote:
>
>> There is no mention of you monitoring your swap file, or how much
>> memory you have installed -- if you use the conservativeswapfileusage
>> switch when your system consistently uses the swap file, performance
>> WILL reduce. Use the system monitor over a number of days, and
>> monitor the "Swap File in use".


<snip>

>Hi MIke, the culprit appeared to be a trojan called Beagle/Bagel, trying to phone
>home or do other harm.
>It appears as a program file called 'winshost.exe' nesting in W:\SYSTEM.
>Once discovered and killed everythiung is back to normal
>Thanks, Maria


I'm glad you got it sorted, and you're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tetration (print 100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100) jononanon@googlemail.com C Programming 5 04-25-2012 08:49 PM
100% TABLE + 100% ROW + 100% DIV..? fred Javascript 3 03-17-2005 04:25 AM
Norton Antispam Chokes Outlook Express SNTP Computer Support 5 02-10-2004 04:21 AM



Advertisments