Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Task Manager

Task Manager

belto

My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
revealed little problems.
The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots of memory.
What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary, can I remove them ,
what do I remove
Is there any source of information to understand what is going on
Thanks for any contributions

why?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:47:49 GMT, belto wrote:

>My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
>I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
>revealed little problems.
>The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots of memory.

This will be for some version of Windows?

(A fairly clean and controlled Win 2000 Pro system here has 57
processes.)

www.sysinternals.com have a utility called pslist (from the PSTools
link) which will dump a list of processes you can copy/past into a post.
The 1st column is the process name.

To show the process tree

pslist -t

See also the GUI Process Explorer and AutoRuns shows what runs at
startup.

>What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary, can I remove them ,
>what do I remove

What are what? You didn't specify any process names.

Some start when Windows starts (oddly enough) others when apps run,
others when you login..

>Is there any source of information to understand what is going on

www.google.com
www.microsoft.com . see the Technet and MSDN developers info.

HijackThis also shows startup and lots of other information.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

>Thanks for any contributions

Me

Dave Lear

"belto" wrote in message
news:VeS7e.51582$(E-Mail Removed). uk

> My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
> I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
> revealed little problems.
> The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots
> of memory. What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary,
> can I remove them, what do I remove
> Is there any source of information to understand what is going on

What are the processes? If you're running Windows XP try this...

Start

Run

TASKLIST > C:\TASKS.TXT

That will create a TASKS.TXT file on the root of your C: drive which you can
open in Notepad. Copy the text from that file and paste it into a news post
so we can see what's actually running and advise you what they are.

belto

Thankyou both for the reply

listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an error
message
Is this the reason for a slow PC taking all of the operating memory.
If this is just standard usage would it be better to increase the total
memory

winword.exe........10,856k
wfxmod32.exe......10568k
wfxctl32.exe..........15024k
ccapp.exe..............51848k
explorer.................25444k
sychost...................27748k

I am using Norton I.S 2005

"Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "belto" wrote in message
> news:VeS7e.51582$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>
>> My system has gradually got slower until now it is nearly stopped.
>> I anm not sure if I have contracted a virus or adware scans yesterday
>> revealed little problems.
>> The Task manager has approx 70 processes running and using lots
>> of memory. What are they how did-do they start, are they necessary,
>> can I remove them, what do I remove
>> Is there any source of information to understand what is going on

> What are the processes? If you're running Windows XP try this...
>
> Start
>
> Run
>
> TASKLIST > C:\TASKS.TXT
>
> That will create a TASKS.TXT file on the root of your C: drive which you
> can open in Notepad. Copy the text from that file and paste it into a news
> post so we can see what's actually running and advise you what they are.

Dave Lear

"belto" wrote in message
newsiT7e.52144$(E-Mail Removed). uk

> listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an
> error message

And the full and exact error message is...?

> Is this the reason for a slow PC taking all of the operating memory.
> If this is just standard usage would it be better to increase the total
> memory
>
> winword.exe........10,856k

Microsoft Word

> wfxmod32.exe......10568k
> wfxctl32.exe..........15024k

WinFax Pro modem support and control panel

> ccapp.exe..............51848k

Required for the Norton AV auto-protect and email scanning.

> explorer.................25444k

Windows Explorer (has to be running - it's the GUI shell)

> sychost...................27748k

Not good, that's an indication of being infected by Leox.B
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.leox.b.html

You need to clear that off your system first.

Any other processes you're not sure of try this
http://www.processlibrary.com/

why?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:15:57 +0100, Dave Lear wrote:

>"belto" wrote in message
>newsiT7e.52144$(E-Mail Removed) .uk
>
>> listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an
>> error message

>And the full and exact error message is...?

<big snip>

>Any other processes you're not sure of try this
>http://www.processlibrary.com/

Interesting site.

Thanks

Me

belto

I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
is this relavent .
Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut and
restart due to RPC
svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.
Very frustrating

"Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "belto" wrote in message
> newsiT7e.52144$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>
>> listed some of the larger processes. trying to end them throws up an
>> error message

> And the full and exact error message is...?
>
>> Is this the reason for a slow PC taking all of the operating memory.
>> If this is just standard usage would it be better to increase the total
>> memory
>>
>> winword.exe........10,856k

> Microsoft Word
>
>> wfxmod32.exe......10568k
>> wfxctl32.exe..........15024k

> WinFax Pro modem support and control panel
>
>> ccapp.exe..............51848k

> Required for the Norton AV auto-protect and email scanning.
>
>> explorer.................25444k

> Windows Explorer (has to be running - it's the GUI shell)
>
>> sychost...................27748k

> Not good, that's an indication of being infected by Leox.B
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.leox.b.html
>
> You need to clear that off your system first.
>
> Any other processes you're not sure of try this
> http://www.processlibrary.com/

Dave Lear

"belto" wrote in message
news:6XU7e.52648$(E-Mail Removed). uk

> I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
> is this relavent .

*Extremely* relevant.

That's why I suggested you copy / paste the process list as that rules out
the possibility of a typo when manually transcribing things. If you want to
find out what SVCHOST is, as opposed to SYCHOST, have a look at this
Microsoft TechNet article...

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

> Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut
> and restart due to RPC

If the process isn't SYCHOST then the Symantec advice for removing LEOX.B
isn't relevant, i.e. because of your typo you're trying to fix a different
problem to the one you actually have. Ending SVCHOST is pretty much
guaranteed to cause issues.

> svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.

It's supposed to be there as it's part of the base Operating System. If you
want to find out what particular instances of SVCHOST actually contain try
the following

Start

Run

CMD

At the command prompt type

TASKLIST /SVC

This will enumerate the process list, but also enumerate the sub-processes
within each instance of the SVCHOST process(es). Copy the list you get and
paste it into a reply here so we can find out what is actually running. Do
not try and type them out longhand again.

Shepİ

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:51:30 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants "belto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>I misread the process it is svchost.exe not Sychost.exe
>is this relavent .
>Tried to remove as per securityresponse but cannot due to system shut and
>restart due to RPC
>svchost.exe reappeared after deletion also.
>Very frustrating

http://help.lockergnome.com/lofivers...hp/t19118.html

HTH

--