Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Opening up MY COMPUTER fldr from commandline?

Opening up MY COMPUTER fldr from commandline?

fitwell

Anyone know how to do that? I'm writing up a batch file to launch a
couple of apps and a few folders incl. the MY COMPUTER one. I've
searched and searched for info on the net but coming up blank. Tx.

fitwell

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:38:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:16:30 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>|>Anyone know how to do that? I'm writing up a batch file to launch a
>|>couple of apps and a few folders incl. the MY COMPUTER one. I've
>|>searched and searched for info on the net but coming up blank. Tx.
>
>EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>
>Works for me, from the command line.

Thanks! It did for me on my Win98SE, too.

why?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:01:11 -0400, fitwell wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:38:17 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>>
>>Works for me, from the command line.

>Thanks! It did for me on my Win98SE, too.

MS articles on the command line switch options.

95/NT/98/Me

2000 versions / NT Server

XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

--
Hot for teacher
http://www.dumbassdaily.com/#teacherpregnant

fitwell

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:30:14 GMT, why?

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:01:11 -0400, fitwell wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:38:17 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>>>
>>>Works for me, from the command line.

>>Thanks! It did for me on my Win98SE, too.

>MS articles on the command line switch options.
>
>95/NT/98/Me
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=130510
>
>2000 versions / NT Server
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q152457
>
>XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

Thanks, I could have used this 5 minutes ago <lol>. I like my windows
to open up clean with no folder tree and maximized so went searching
for switches just now. By removing the "/e" in the above line of
coding so kindly given by Pennywise, I got exactly what I needed.

The bat file looks like this (coding is wrapping, but ea. line of
coding should of course be on one line):

"start /max /wait
C:\PROGRA~1\P2P\WINMXV~1.53\WINMX\MXMONI~1\MXMONIE .EXE
start /max /wait C:\PROGRA~1\P2P\KAZAAL~1.3\KLRUN.EXE
start /max /wait D:\DOWNLO~2
start /max /wait EXPLORER.EXE
,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
start /max /wait C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\!!!TEM~1"

It works perfectly. I launch my 2 apps at beginning, then open up the
3 folders I always need at the same time. I knew there was a wait
command somewhere and, thank goodness, found that switch on the net
quickly and easily. So the above seems to launch/open everything
exactly the way I like it and in sequence (due to the start / wait).
Tx much!

Miles Ahead

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:54:32 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So the above seems to launch/open everything
>exactly the way I like it and in sequence (due to the start / wait).

A freebie toy I like to use is SlickRun. It does aliases with up
arrow command history, and command line completion. You
can even make an alias that calls a bunch of other aliases.
It sits on the desktop as a tiny command window. So the
only time I need to open a regular command window is if
I really have to see the console output. It's very cool.

http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/

So for example, the alias I use to open My Computeris
"drives" and defined as "explorer" with params "/select,C:"

As soon as I start to type the alias it guesses the complete
word and fills it in. So if the last folder I opened using SlickRun
was "\temp" as soon as I type "\" it fills in the rest. Very nice.

fitwell

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:11:48 -0400, Miles Ahead
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:54:32 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>So the above seems to launch/open everything
>>exactly the way I like it and in sequence (due to the start / wait).

>A freebie toy I like to use is SlickRun. It does aliases with up
>arrow command history, and command line completion. You
>can even make an alias that calls a bunch of other aliases.
>It sits on the desktop as a tiny command window. So the
>only time I need to open a regular command window is if
>I really have to see the console output. It's very cool.
>
>http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/
>
>So for example, the alias I use to open My Computeris
>"drives" and defined as "explorer" with params "/select,C:"
>
>As soon as I start to type the alias it guesses the complete
>word and fills it in. So if the last folder I opened using SlickRun
>was "\temp" as soon as I type "\" it fills in the rest. Very nice.

Neat. Thanks for the tip!

I'm using AutoIt right now. I was able to use the same commands for
it for the "My Computer" file as for a DOS batch file and it
recognized it, with the great additional benefits that I find AutoIt
extremely easy to code for esp. in comparison to bat files! <lol>

Thanks.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:04:25 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:11:48 -0400, Miles Ahead
|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>>A freebie toy I like to use is SlickRun. It does aliases with up
|>>arrow command history, and command line completion. You
|>>can even make an alias that calls a bunch of other aliases.
|>>It sits on the desktop as a tiny command window. So the
|>>only time I need to open a regular command window is if
|>>I really have to see the console output. It's very cool.
|>>
|>>http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/
|>>
|>>So for example, the alias I use to open My Computeris
|>>"drives" and defined as "explorer" with params "/select,C:"
|>>
|>>As soon as I start to type the alias it guesses the complete
|>>word and fills it in. So if the last folder I opened using SlickRun
|>>was "\temp" as soon as I type "\" it fills in the rest. Very nice.

|>Neat. Thanks for the tip!
|>
|>I'm using AutoIt right now. I was able to use the same commands for
|>it for the "My Computer" file as for a DOS batch file and it
|>recognized it, with the great additional benefits that I find AutoIt
|>extremely easy to code for esp. in comparison to bat files! <lol>

I use PowerPro, also free. It allows me one click access to do
anything (anything).

Your BAT file could be run with just a click, or it could be code'd in
with the PowerPro commands again one click to run.

It doesn't have to be a click either, I can move my mouse to the right
side of the screen and have something happen.

I'd be lost without it.

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

--
www.Penisland.org

fitwell

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:23:34 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:04:25 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

[snip]

>I use PowerPro, also free. It allows me one click access to do
>anything (anything).

Hmmm, PowerPro is good. I used it for about 5 years non-stop but
moved away from it.

>Your BAT file could be run with just a click, or it could be code'd in
>with the PowerPro commands again one click to run.

True, but now I must admit that I prefer having AutoIt command scripts
accessible through a toolbar folder on my taskbar. In this way, I no
longer need to have a program running. I did up a bunch of shortcuts
grouped in folders and click on them as needed without having to have
PP running.

The problem with PP was a memory one. After a few hours, on launching
PP just for a script or two, it would crash my system. But apparently
that bug has been fixed as PP doesn't call from the config file in the
same way anymore.

Again, I used it for 5 years but now find I do too much at any given
time to keep using it. I also will have to upgrade my system sometime
soon <g>, but $$$ determine that and can't do that just yet.

Thanks for the tip. PP is indeed a fabulous freeware.

>It doesn't have to be a click either, I can move my mouse to the right
>side of the screen and have something happen.
>
>I'd be lost without it.
>
>http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:15:20 -0400, fitwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>>I use PowerPro, also free. It allows me one click access to do
|>>anything (anything).
|>
|>Hmmm, PowerPro is good. I used it for about 5 years non-stop but
|>moved away from it.

I forget how long I've used PP, but I paid for it if that's any clue.
That's the second time I've paid for software that went Freeware.

I'd play'd around with stiletto before that...

|>>Your BAT file could be run with just a click, or it could be code'd in
|>>with the PowerPro commands again one click to run.
|>
|>True, but now I must admit that I prefer having AutoIt command scripts
|>accessible through a toolbar folder on my taskbar. In this way, I no
|>longer need to have a program running. I did up a bunch of shortcuts
|>grouped in folders and click on them as needed without having to have
|>PP running.

I look'd at AutoIt and thought na, PP works just fine for me; but if
you've used PP and switch'd and like it, I guess I'm going have to
give it a try.

|>The problem with PP was a memory one. After a few hours, on launching
|>PP just for a script or two, it would crash my system. But apparently
|>that bug has been fixed as PP doesn't call from the config file in the
|>same way anymore.

I can't remember ever having memory problems with it, but then I don't
run many scripts.

|>Again, I used it for 5 years but now find I do too much at any given
|>time to keep using it. I also will have to upgrade my system sometime
|>soon <g>, but $$$ determine that and can't do that just yet.

Good Luck...

--
Sixteen-year-old boy gets naked pictures of ex-girlfriend,
posts them on Internet. Ex-girlfriend is fifteen.