Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > networking question

networking question

riplead

I have been asked to setup a network for a small office of 10-20 Windows
PC's, and I don't know what kind of routers/switches/hubs to get.

I would like to give them the option of print servers which seem easy
enough, and maybe a wireless pre-N router for their laptop(s). Aren't they
supposed to be the latest and greatest? I am also not sure on how to ensure
security with a wireless router. Is it typically setup by default on the
router?

I have to brush up on my limited knowledge of routers and such.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

John

Sultan

"riplead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been asked to setup a network for a small office of 10-20
> Windows PC's, and I don't know what kind of routers/switches/hubs

> get.
>
> I would like to give them the option of print servers which seem

easy
> enough, and maybe a wireless pre-N router for their laptop(s).

Aren't
> they supposed to be the latest and greatest? I am also not sure on

how
> to ensure security with a wireless router. Is it typically setup by
> default on the router?
>
> I have to brush up on my limited knowledge of routers and such.
>
> Any advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Nobody ever got fired for buying Cisco. Contact Cisco and find an
authorized reseller in your area - many carry other brands as well -
but at least find out what they recommend and then do your homework.

I assume you are going to set up a domain for this network - do all
the clients use either Windows 2K or XP Pro? If they have XP home
then you are already in trouble.

Good luck -

--

Sultan

riplead

I haven't got the details yet, I'm just starting to gather info.

I wasn't sure if such a small network would warrant a domain or not.

I forgot to mention, it would be nice to have some kind of file server setup
with fault tolerance. Any ideas on that?

I'm guessing this is a network of Win2K and XP.
Why would I be screwed if they were using XP Home?
I never used it before.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Sultan wrote:
> "riplead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I have been asked to setup a network for a small office of 10-20
>>Windows PC's, and I don't know what kind of routers/switches/hubs

>>get.
>>
>>I would like to give them the option of print servers which seem

> easy
>
>>enough, and maybe a wireless pre-N router for their laptop(s).

> Aren't
>
>>they supposed to be the latest and greatest? I am also not sure on

> how
>
>>to ensure security with a wireless router. Is it typically setup by
>>default on the router?
>>
>>I have to brush up on my limited knowledge of routers and such.
>>
>>Any advice would be helpful.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John
>>

> Nobody ever got fired for buying Cisco. Contact Cisco and find an
> authorized reseller in your area - many carry other brands as well -
> but at least find out what they recommend and then do your homework.
>
> I assume you are going to set up a domain for this network - do all
> the clients use either Windows 2K or XP Pro? If they have XP home
> then you are already in trouble.

If the boss doesn't want to have a network administrator set up their
network, then John may be the first fired for buying Cisco - kinda
spendy for no budget at all.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

riplead wrote:
> I have been asked to setup a network for a small office of 10-20 Windows
> PC's, and I don't know what kind of routers/switches/hubs to get.
>
> I would like to give them the option of print servers which seem easy
> enough, and maybe a wireless pre-N router for their laptop(s). Aren't they
> supposed to be the latest and greatest? I am also not sure on how to ensure
> security with a wireless router. Is it typically setup by default on the
> router?
>
> I have to brush up on my limited knowledge of routers and such.
>
> Any advice would be helpful.

Pre N is the latest greatest and is proprietary at the moment. The
standard may not be settled on for some time. In other words, whatever
you buy now you may be locked in to that brand/model until you replace
the whole shooting match. I'd stick with 802.11g so that you have leeway
in what to buy in the future. It's not that difficult to set up more
than one access point and enable roaming to cover a large area. Plan on
setting up WPA for encryption on the wireless, it's close enough to
uncrackable if you use a *good* long passphrase. Sultan's suggestion of
Cisco for router/switch is good but there are others out there that
could handle a load of ~ 20 PCs. Not any cheap ones that I'd recommend,
but some are cheaper than Cisco. I use a Cisco router and a Dell
enterprise-type 24 port switch, no troubles at all from them.

Duane Arnold

"riplead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been asked to setup a network for a small office of 10-20 Windows
>PC's, and I don't know what kind of routers/switches/hubs to get.

You should get something with a real FW. You should not get a NAT router for
home usage like a Linksys, Netgear, D-link etc, etc not the low-end models.
Or in general, not any NAT router for a business solution.

You want something like a WatchGuard SOHO 6 Firebox applinace is the lowest
you can go and at a reasonable price. There are others like Cisco, SnapGear,
Sonicwall that have low-end FW appliances. They do have high-end packet
filtering rules/policies based FW routers like Zyxel and others .

The link may help you in your section process and how to select the right
thing.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

> I would like to give them the option of print servers which seem easy
> enough,

A print server is easy enough.

> and maybe a wireless pre-N router for their laptop(s). Aren't they
> supposed to be the latest and greatest?

You really don't want a wireless solution within the trusted zone of the
LAN. Wireless can be easily hacked and a DHCP IP can be obtained from a
wireless router that issues DHCP IP(s) to machines. You'll want to put the
wireless router in the un-trusted zone with a VPN solution from the wireless
router into the trusted zone of the router or FW appliance.

> I am also not sure on how to ensure security with a wireless router. Is it
> typically setup by default on the router?

No, security is not set-up on the wireless AP or router and they are left in
their *default* out of the box state in most cases and those default
settings are known and are exploited.

Here are some basic tips on wireless security for the home or a small LAN
setup.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...fisecurity.htm

> I have to brush up on my limited knowledge of routers and such.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resul...m=all&x=19&y=8

No doubt.

CDW has all the major brands and you can do a search for them at the site.

Duane

Gordon

riplead wrote:
> Why would I be screwed if they were using XP Home?
> I never used it before.

Because Home Edition cannot join a domain and is restricted to 5
concurrent connections. In fact you'd be screwed not using a domain
either, as Pro is restricted to TEN concurrent connections and as you
are talking in excess of ten connections.......

Duane Arnold

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> riplead wrote:
>> Why would I be screwed if they were using XP Home?
>> I never used it before.
>>

> Because Home Edition cannot join a domain and is restricted to 5
> concurrent connections. In fact you'd be screwed not using a domain
> either, as Pro is restricted to TEN concurrent connections and as you are
> talking in excess of ten connections.......

I think that means concurrent connections at one time. In the case of XP Pro
machine being used with the IIS Webserver, then the OS(s) will only allow 10
concurrent connections to IIS. This may also apply to a XP Pro machine doing
ICS or sharing resources that the O/S will only allow 10 concurrent
connections to the machine at one time. Not even in a P2P LAN situation
would one workstation have 10 concurrent connections active, unless that
machine was being used in some fileserver capacity.

This may also apply to XP Home as well with the number of 5 concurrent
connections that the O/S will allow at one time to the machine.

Also, a couple of years back, you could configure XP Home to join a domain
with some 3rd party tool. However, M$ may have knocked that out the box as I
have not heard about the software again.

Duane