Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 20" LCD: setting 4 g Larger text in all Programs? and larger icons

20" LCD: setting 4 g Larger text in all Programs? and larger icons

lbbss

I bought a 20" flat screen from dell for work . I have windows 2000 pro,
but will be upgrading to xp. It's natural resolution that it has to be
set to in order to get the best picture quality is 1600x1200. The only
problem with that all the icons are very small and text are all small. I
know how to change my desktop them and icons size and text . I found that
certain programs like internet explorer have options for larger text and
icons. But certain programs don't have large button options. Also the
icons Quick launch toolbar can be changed to large icons, but the large
icons are much too big (no custom settings).

Is there not a feature in windows xp that will change text and icons in
"all" my programs. You would think that there would be an easy solution
to that. Does everyone that have a 20" kill them selves trying to see the
small icons and text? It does not make sense for me to have a nice LCD
and run it at a low resolution. Any thoughts?

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

lbbss, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the streptococcal, depressing pigfish, and
licensed pauper, puked:

> I bought a 20" flat screen from dell for work . I have windows 2000
> pro, but will be upgrading to xp. It's natural resolution that it
> has to be set to in order to get the best picture quality is
> 1600x1200. The only problem with that all the icons are very small
> and text are all small. I know how to change my desktop them and
> icons size and text . I found that certain programs like internet
> explorer have options for larger text and icons. But certain
> programs don't have large button options. Also the icons Quick
> launch toolbar can be changed to large icons, but the large icons are
> much too big (no custom settings).
>
> Is there not a feature in windows xp that will change text and icons
> in "all" my programs. You would think that there would be an easy
> solution to that. Does everyone that have a 20" kill them selves
> trying to see the small icons and text? It does not make sense for
> me to have a nice LCD and run it at a low resolution. Any
> thoughts?

Many of us power users run a resolution of 1600 x 1200 or higher.
If you have difficulty seeing the icons and text, I mean real difficulty,
not just that you haven't bothered to try to get used to it, then you're a
blind ****.

That said, there are some stupid ****, so-called, web masters, who insist on
setting text sizes quite small. The best advice is to send the bastards an
email telling them that you're a blind **** and explain why you have
difficulty with their web sites.

HTH

is but a dream within a dream.

°Mike°

Right click on the desktop, choose 'Properties' and 'Settings'.
Click 'Advanced' and change the 'DPI Setting' to large size,
and reboot -- you can use custom settings, if you prefer.

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
lbbss took 17 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Stephen West

lbbss wrote:
> I bought a 20" flat screen from dell for work . I have windows 2000 pro,
> but will be upgrading to xp. It's natural resolution that it has to be
> set to in order to get the best picture quality is 1600x1200. The only
> problem with that all the icons are very small and text are all small. I
> know how to change my desktop them and icons size and text . I found that
> certain programs like internet explorer have options for larger text and
> icons. But certain programs don't have large button options. Also the
> icons Quick launch toolbar can be changed to large icons, but the large
> icons are much too big (no custom settings).
>
> Is there not a feature in windows xp that will change text and icons in
> "all" my programs. You would think that there would be an easy solution
> to that. Does everyone that have a 20" kill them selves trying to see the
> small icons and text? It does not make sense for me to have a nice LCD
> and run it at a low resolution. Any thoughts?

Try going to display properties and click on Advanced and try a larger
DPI -this will make icons bigger. If you have trouble with individual
websites then you could try using Mozilla or Firefox - both of these
allow you to increase the display size of any web site using CTRL and +
(CTRL and - will decrease it to its natural setting - the changes are
not permanent and will reset when you restart the browser or view
another site.

Fred Kasner

Stephen West wrote:
> lbbss wrote:
>
>> I bought a 20" flat screen from dell for work . I have windows 2000 pro,
>> but will be upgrading to xp. It's natural resolution that it has to be
>> set to in order to get the best picture quality is 1600x1200. The only
>> problem with that all the icons are very small and text are all
>> small. I
>> know how to change my desktop them and icons size and text . I found
>> that
>> certain programs like internet explorer have options for larger text and
>> icons. But certain programs don't have large button options. Also the
>> icons Quick launch toolbar can be changed to large icons, but the large
>> icons are much too big (no custom settings).
>>
>> Is there not a feature in windows xp that will change text and icons in
>> "all" my programs. You would think that there would be an easy
>> solution
>> to that. Does everyone that have a 20" kill them selves trying to
>> see the
>> small icons and text? It does not make sense for me to have a nice LCD
>> and run it at a low resolution. Any thoughts?
>>

> Try going to display properties and click on Advanced and try a larger
> DPI -this will make icons bigger. If you have trouble with individual
> websites then you could try using Mozilla or Firefox - both of these
> allow you to increase the display size of any web site using CTRL and +
> (CTRL and - will decrease it to its natural setting - the changes are
> not permanent and will reset when you restart the browser or view
> another site.

Sitting here reading your post using Mozilla on a linux box. Mozilla
does not respond to the ctrl-+ or - controls. I use it frequently when
reading Mozilla and Firefox on a Win box. But I can't find any control
that will enlarge all the print on Mozilla. There is one that does it
for newgroup posts but not for the small type in the preview panel at top.
FK

lbbss

I don't have a place to change dpi settings.
I have a ATI Expert 128 video card (32MB).

> Right click on the desktop, choose 'Properties' and 'Settings'.
> Click 'Advanced' and change the 'DPI Setting' to large size,
> and reboot -- you can use custom settings, if you prefer.

°Mike°

See my reply in your new thread. And please don't make
new threads.

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
lbbss took 10 lines to utter: