Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing a legit XP - need help

Installing a legit XP - need help

none@none.com

I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.

I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.

What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
HD after a fresh installation of XP.

Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed

TIA

Miles Ahead

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:09:08 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
>HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
>partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
>which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
>
>I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
>It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up

Why not run the Dos program under real Dos?? You can either boot
a Dos CD or install Dos on C: along with Win98.

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
>HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
>partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
>which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
>
>I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
>It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
>have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
>then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
>or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
>same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
>
>What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
>the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
>HD after a fresh installation of XP.
>
>Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
>
>TIA

The "Devilsown" version of Windows XP is/was an authorized copy of the
Volume Licensed version.

You did not indicate which type of Windows XP you are going to obtain.

First of all, no version of XP Home (retail full, retail upgrade, or
OEM) will do a "repair install" or otherwise replace your bootleg XP
Pro. It will have to be XP Pro if you want to retain the installed
programs etc.

With a legit XP Pro you have a couple of possibilities:
1. It might just be as simple as changing the product key used. You
can do this with the key finder utility from
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe as it also has a key
change function.
2. You might have to do a repair install of XP Pro as per the
instructions at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you want to use the lower priced XP Home version then your only
option is to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
to save your existing data files and program configuration settings to
another hard drive partition, a network drive, or a removable backup
device. Then format the XP partition, install your new XP Home
clean, reinstall the application programs, and then run FASTW again to
import the saved data and configuration settings.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) took 19 lines to utter:

<snip>

>What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown

How can there be downsides to installing a legitimate copy
over an illegal, pirated copy?

--
Damn thief.

Ghostrider

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
> HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
> partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
> which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
>
> I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
> It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
> have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
> then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
> or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
> same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
>
> What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
> the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
> HD after a fresh installation of XP.
>
> Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
>
> TIA

There is probably nothing wrong at all with the Windows XP
that is installed. Rather, the DOS program could probably be
draining all of the resources being used by the computer to
sustain its running while in the DOS window. Right click on
the icon for the DOS application and check its properties.
Pay particular attention to the memory and other settings so
that the DOS window for this application is pretty much the
same as it would be in an ordinary DOS box. And then there
are some DOS programs so badly programmed that they cannot
conserve resources and crash.

FML

spewed forth...

> I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
> HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
> partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
> which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
>
> I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
> It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
> have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
> then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
> or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
> same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
>
> What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
> the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
> HD after a fresh installation of XP.
>
> Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
>
> TIA

Regarding your DOS program, read this article and see if it helps:
(scroll down to the middle of the page to Running MS-DOS programs in
Windows XP)

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39...65375-2,00.htm

FS: 1 MCSE security exam voucher expiring 11/30/04 - legit offer - ebay sale fell through Audi S4 pilot MCSE 0 11-28-2004 04:21 PM
legit product or dump Doom MCSE 12 06-22-2004 06:49 PM
Netsky.b from legit but unconnected business addresses Help? Col Computer Security 3 02-28-2004 02:04 AM
70-306 - Actual Legit Developer Questions Brunswick Lowe MCSD 3 01-13-2004 12:02 AM
Is X-Cleaner Legit? I think it may have wiped my registry. What do i do? Look in my eyes and you'll find me Computer Support 10 08-31-2003 03:15 AM

Advertisments