Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RAM Troubles?

RAM Troubles?

Mike K

Hello,

I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

Thinking that it was bad ram, I ran Memtest 1.15. Both sticks turned out
fine when I ran the default tests. Then I changed some settings which
turned up 100,000+ errors on both sticks. If your familiar with Memtest, I
changed the memory sizing option (option 4) to Bios - All and thats how i
came up with all these errors. I also changed the option to test all memory
(option 3) and it was the same. When it got to test 4, it unexpectedly
halted.

Heres what it printed out when it quit:
type: gen-prot PC:0000248F CS: 00000010 EFLAG: 00010006 Stopped with
259,228 errora

You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

Thanks for your help!

doS

I just bought 250.00 worth of PQI ram, it had a bad stick...
http://www.memtest86.com/

"Mike K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%YY6e.819$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
>
> I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
> motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.
>
> Thinking that it was bad ram, I ran Memtest 1.15. Both sticks turned out
> fine when I ran the default tests. Then I changed some settings which
> turned up 100,000+ errors on both sticks. If your familiar with Memtest,

> changed the memory sizing option (option 4) to Bios - All and thats how i
> came up with all these errors. I also changed the option to test all

memory
> (option 3) and it was the same. When it got to test 4, it unexpectedly
> halted.
>
> Heres what it printed out when it quit:
> type: gen-prot PC:0000248F CS: 00000010 EFLAG: 00010006 Stopped with
> 259,228 errora
>
> You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
> the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr

old.

> Thanks for your help!

doS

www.memtest86.com

"Mike K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%YY6e.819$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
>
> I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
> motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.
>
> Thinking that it was bad ram, I ran Memtest 1.15. Both sticks turned out
> fine when I ran the default tests. Then I changed some settings which
> turned up 100,000+ errors on both sticks. If your familiar with Memtest,

> changed the memory sizing option (option 4) to Bios - All and thats how i
> came up with all these errors. I also changed the option to test all

memory
> (option 3) and it was the same. When it got to test 4, it unexpectedly
> halted.
>
> Heres what it printed out when it quit:
> type: gen-prot PC:0000248F CS: 00000010 EFLAG: 00010006 Stopped with
> 259,228 errora
>
> You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
> the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr

old.

> Thanks for your help!

Blinky the Shark

Mike K wrote:
> Hello,

> I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
> motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

<snip>

> You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
> the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Mike K wrote:
>
>>Hello,

>>I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
>>motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

> <snip>
>
>>You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
>>the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

> And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

Bullshit, I've used a bunch of ECS boards and out of maybe two or three
dozen I've had one or two with problems. I can't even say that about
Asus. The reason I bought a couple of ECS boards to begin with was a
review on one of the better sites (Tom's maybe, can't remember) that
said their main criticism of them is that they are priced too cheap,
people won't believe they're good.

To the OP, flashing the BIOS is *very* risky business and shouldn't be
undertaken unless you know that it's the solution to a specific problem.

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Mike K wrote:

>>>Hello,

>>>I've been having a problem with system freezes. I have an ECS L7S7A2
>>>motherboard with 2 256 mb PC 2100 RAM sticks running Win2000.

>> <snip>

>>>You think I should just re-flash the motherboard? Personally I doubt its
>>>the ram, since one stick is from Crucial and the other is almost a yesr old.

>> And I don't believe ECS has a very good reputation.

> Bullshit, I've used a bunch of ECS boards and out of maybe two or three

Either you got lucky or the other people got unlucky. Hoo nose?

> dozen I've had one or two with problems. I can't even say that about
> Asus. The reason I bought a couple of ECS boards to begin with was a
> review on one of the better sites (Tom's maybe, can't remember) that
> said their main criticism of them is that they are priced too cheap,
> people won't believe they're good.

Perhaps that is an issue. I've never used one; my "I believe"
represents what I've read, not "I know damned well because half of the
ones I've used have gone tits up".

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who as part of Usenet Improvement Project 2005 (UIP5)

doS

lol. two or three dozen, and you call those good?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

doS wrote:
> lol. two or three dozen, and you call those good?

I guess I don't understand your reaction unless you are assuming I put
two or three dozen motherboards in one computer. I said I had problems
with maybe one or two boards out of two or three dozen used. I've had
worse luck with Asus but I still buy them too. Probably the best luck
I've had overall has been with Gigabyte boards.

I had one customer who would not accept anything less than the absolute
cheapest, damn the quality, on an order of 24 computers for a computer
classroom. I hate to admit it publicly but I got him PCShits, the
scourge of the industry. Just in case, I ordered 25. One of them was
DOA, the others worked fine until recently when he retired them (about 2
years of use). Most of them are probably still working somewhere.

doS

I was teasing you roger, no offence meant.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

doS wrote:
> I was teasing you roger, no offence meant.

I doubt you have the gazoombas to tease me effectively, but no offense
taken.