Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be...

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be...

wyldalee

I am trying to run a disk at my work computer. This exact disk ha
worked several times before, but now it's giving me the error "*Window
cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could b
using a format that is not compatible with Windows." N*othing abou
this disk hs changed since yesterday. I have tried rebooting th
computer, with and without the disk in the drive. I believe it is
CD-R/W drive. This computer is running on Windows XP, and Service Pac
2 has been installed. Any suggestions

--
wyldale
wyldalee's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1165

Evan Platt

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:58:59 -0400, wyldalee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to run a disk at my work computer. This exact disk has
>worked several times before, but now it's giving me the error "*Windows
>cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be
>using a format that is not compatible with Windows." N*othing about
>this disk hs changed since yesterday. I have tried rebooting the
>computer, with and without the disk in the drive. I believe it is a
>CD-R/W drive. This computer is running on Windows XP, and Service Pack
>2 has been installed. Any suggestions?

Ok, first you say disk - floppy? Then you say it's a CD-R/W drive. So
are you trying to read a cd-r? cd-rw? What was it burned in? More
details...

wyldalee

it's a cd-r, just has data on it. again, the same disk worked in th
same drive yesterday, and nothing about either has changed since then
the computer was shut down overnight, and now it does not work. th
cd-r was burned with windows CD creator

it's not so much that it doesn't work, its that it used to work and no
it doesn't. i tried the cd on a different computer and it opened i
fine

--
wyldale
wyldalee's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1165
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181906025

ProfGene

wyldalee wrote:
> I am trying to run a disk at my work computer. This exact disk has
> worked several times before, but now it's giving me the error "*Windows
> cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be
> using a format that is not compatible with Windows." N*othing about
> this disk hs changed since yesterday. I have tried rebooting the
> computer, with and without the disk in the drive. I believe it is a
> CD-R/W drive. This computer is running on Windows XP, and Service Pack
> 2 has been installed. Any suggestions?

If you are talking about a cd disk you can try washing it with a mild
detergent and drying it off. Somtimes this will fix a disk that can't
be read. Floppy disks when they go bad usually stay bad.

wyldalee

it is a CD-R. it works in other computers. i believe this is a proble
with the drive or the operating system, not the disk. i'm sure i'm no
the only one familiar with the problems SP2 causes with windows XP,
am thinking this could be another one of them

--
wyldale
wyldalee's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1165
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181906025

TheMoonAndAntarctica TheMoonAndAntarctica is offline
Junior Member

I get the same error message while trying to read files burnt on a mac using discblaze. I am fairly certain that i verified the files after burning them, and they are physically soundTDK DVD+R discs. I suspect XP but know no way around it.

The file formats may not have opened in windows anyway, but i at least should be able to view them in windows explorer.

the program i burnt them with had two checkboxes: "visible on mac" and "visible on pc". i changed the setting for the second disc, yet neither are readable. BOTH burn processes can't have been failures, as the drive was sound.

I haven't had a chance to try out the discs on another computer.

I tend to think that it's XP...

GTA11 GTA11 is offline
Junior Member

(Veterans, I registered to post a practical solution to this problem for many people out there like myself who searched in vain, and spent an hour reading bull fed from other forums. Do forgive me for bumping a very old thread. )

A solution!

My exact problem is that in Windata DVD-R discs (4.7gb) windows will give the "windows cannot read from this disc. The disk might be corrupted..." error message whenever I insert one of the discs and double click on it in My Computer. My drives (it happens in both drives, another indicator to me this is an Operating System issue) will not read the discs even if I reboot my computer.

Nero was the problem. Here are the exact steps I took.

1) I placed the disc in the drive.
(DVD-R I knew was good but windows was not recognizing)
2) I opened Nero and tried to continue a multisession disc (failed)
*) Here, Nero told me the disc in the drive wasn't writeable (don't give up, there's more)
3) I opened the original compilation that I burned That Disc (ie the one I inserted) with, by finding it in the file - open menu
*) Nero loaded up the compilation
4) I right-clicked the disc icon and looked at the compilation properties
*) When I did this (possibly when nero loaded the compilation above) the drive started spinning the disc.
5) Close out of Nero.
6) Eject and reinsert your disc.
7) Watch windows autoplay as normal!

** If the above does not work for you...assuming you have a similar problem (drive reads one type of disc, gives you the 'corrupt' error on another type).

Try burning a multisession CD/DVD and saving the compilation before you close out of Nero (or your CD/DVD burning software). Make sure you do not fill the disc completely. Come back to Nero and do the steps above.

I suspect it is similar to trying to drive a car with the parking brake engaged. The program simply has not returned your drive(s) to normal, and because of this, windows cannot 'go anywhere.' As a last resort, your drive may have actually failed, but I know that in this case my drives are fine.