Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help with dial up connection

Reply
Thread Tools

help with dial up connection

 
 
Karen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005
Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp and since then I can no longer
connect to the internet by opening Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, I
now have to go into connections and do it manually. This isn't a real
problem but just wondered what had gone wrong. I have tried Tools-Internet
Options-Always dial my default connection as it seems to be stuck on never
dial but once I have turned my comp off it goes back to never dial a
connection.

Any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MrGrumpy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005
Tried, Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Settings......Connection...Dial
whenever not present, then apply?
PS Sounds like a good health check!

"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3ghpl$sss$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp and since then I can no

longer
> connect to the internet by opening Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, I
> now have to go into connections and do it manually. This isn't a real
> problem but just wondered what had gone wrong. I have tried

Tools-Internet
> Options-Always dial my default connection as it seems to be stuck on never
> dial but once I have turned my comp off it goes back to never dial a
> connection.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Many thanks
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Karen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005

"MrGrumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GbQ6e.18971$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tried, Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet
> Settings......Connection...Dial
> whenever not present, then apply?
> PS Sounds like a good health check!



Checked the whenever not present box and seemed to have worked.

Thanks for the advice

PS yes great health check, 2nd one I've had done, by two different companies
and the comp always comes back with something not right, don't think I'll
bother having it checked again.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005
"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3ghpl$sss$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp


Health check? Yeah, that was clear. Did you have it turn its head and
cough? Of course, it is always wise to conceal WHICH operating system
you are using when asking questions about it.
>


> and since then I can no longer connect to the internet by opening
> Outlook Express or Internet Explorer, I now have to go into
> connections and do it manually. This isn't a real problem but just
> wondered what had gone wrong. I have tried Tools-Internet
> Options-Always dial my default connection as it seems to be stuck on
> never dial but once I have turned my comp off it goes back to never
> dial a connection.


Did you install some 3rd party dialing program (so when you want a
connection, THAT dialer gets used instead of the one in Windows)? Some
ISPs, like AOL, make you install their software to use their dialer to
connect to their modem pool. Often the connectoid that gets created in
Network group in the Control Panel for the 3rd party dialer is a dummy
connectoid. It's properties are not used and the 3rd party dialer
defines it as needed to make the connection because the dial-up number
might change as the dialer rotates through a set of numbers that it
tries. That means you need to configure the 3rd party dialer's
properties.

If you are using the Windows-supplied dialer then maybe you are infected
(because some other dialer has been installed). Have you scanned for
viruses and malware using a recently updated anti-virus program and by
using Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CWshredder, MS Antispyware, and Pest Patrol
(their online scan is free)? Or was that the "health check" to which
you referred? Using these tools to eradicate a pest can lead to
problems if you don't know how to use the tools and what actions they
commit for the eradication.


--
__________________________________________________ __________
** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
__________________________________________________ __________

 
Reply With Quote
 
MrGrumpy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005
Apart from ensuring you have a decent AV app and Firewall, ensure both Win
is updated and your Office apps.
Also download update and run, regularly, Adaware and Spybot. - freeware
versions
http://www.lavasoft.nu/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html.
Not much else to do, unless perhaps you visit to many p2p sites, or are
allways 'trying' new apps.


"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3gkjo$321$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "MrGrumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GbQ6e.18971$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tried, Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet
> > Settings......Connection...Dial
> > whenever not present, then apply?
> > PS Sounds like a good health check!

>
>
> Checked the whenever not present box and seemed to have worked.
>
> Thanks for the advice
>
> PS yes great health check, 2nd one I've had done, by two different

companies
> and the comp always comes back with something not right, don't think I'll
> bother having it checked again.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Karen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2005

<Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3ghpl$sss$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all, I had a health check done on my comp

>
> Health check? Yeah, that was clear. Did you have it turn its head and
> cough? Of course, it is always wise to conceal WHICH operating system you
> are using when asking questions about it.
>>

>
>> and since then I can no longer connect to the internet by opening Outlook
>> Express or Internet Explorer, I now have to go into connections and do it
>> manually. This isn't a real problem but just wondered what had gone
>> wrong. I have tried Tools-Internet Options-Always dial my default
>> connection as it seems to be stuck on never dial but once I have turned
>> my comp off it goes back to never dial a connection.

>
> Did you install some 3rd party dialing program (so when you want a
> connection, THAT dialer gets used instead of the one in Windows)? Some
> ISPs, like AOL, make you install their software to use their dialer to
> connect to their modem pool. Often the connectoid that gets created in
> Network group in the Control Panel for the 3rd party dialer is a dummy
> connectoid. It's properties are not used and the 3rd party dialer defines
> it as needed to make the connection because the dial-up number might
> change as the dialer rotates through a set of numbers that it tries. That
> means you need to configure the 3rd party dialer's properties.
>
> If you are using the Windows-supplied dialer then maybe you are infected
> (because some other dialer has been installed). Have you scanned for
> viruses and malware using a recently updated anti-virus program and by
> using Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CWshredder, MS Antispyware, and Pest Patrol
> (their online scan is free)? Or was that the "health check" to which you
> referred? Using these tools to eradicate a pest can lead to problems if
> you don't know how to use the tools and what actions they commit for the
> eradication.
>
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
> __________________________________________________ __________
>


problem seems to be back again. I'm running windows xp if that helps, any
other suggestions to my problem would be great.

Many thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE options - "never dial a connection" doesnt stick - returns to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" techman41973@yahoo.com Computer Support 2 03-08-2006 09:08 PM
Dial voipcheap from dial plan John DH UK VOIP 6 02-01-2006 09:58 PM
MSN can't find a dial-in number for dial up =?Utf-8?B?TFlTVEFZ?= Microsoft Certification 1 05-05-2004 02:15 PM
Cisco 1003 how to dial in to one isp with multiple dial strings? Matthias Fischer Cisco 4 01-21-2004 10:21 PM
Putting in secondary dial up connection with cable connection f1dona Computer Support 4 01-16-2004 04:45 PM



Advertisments