Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > whenever i try to run windows based programs DEP shuts down windows

whenever i try to run windows based programs DEP shuts down windows

tonysroom

i cannot access control panel or just about anything in window
explorer--when i click on the desktop icons or start menu icon, all o
the desktop icons dissapear for a few seconds then come back. after
downloaded and installed the latest service pack, the same thin
happens but i get the DEP message saying that DEP has closed windows
HEEEEELLLLLPPP!!

--
tonysroo
tonysroom's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1164

Blinky the Shark

tonysroom wrote:

> i cannot access control panel or just about anything in windows
> explorer--when i click on the desktop icons or start menu icon, all of
> the desktop icons dissapear for a few seconds then come back. after i
> downloaded and installed the latest service pack, the same thing
> happens but i get the DEP message saying that DEP has closed windows.
> HEEEEELLLLLPPP!!!

You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
control of your own Usenet experience.

[1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
that wasn't meant for webification.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 06:29:37 -0400, tonysroom
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>i cannot access control panel or just about anything in windows
|>explorer--when i click on the desktop icons or start menu icon, all of
|>the desktop icons dissapear for a few seconds then come back. after i
|>downloaded and installed the latest service pack, the same thing
|>happens but i get the DEP message saying that DEP has closed windows.
|>HEEEEELLLLLPPP!!!

You need to run all the spyware you can, start with spybot and
ad-ware. something is attempting to hack your system
http://tinyurl.com/4o6bb

You can disable your DEP shutdowns by editing your BOOT.INI and remove
the /DEP from the string, but I'd fix the problem first.

From the link:
"Although terminating a process or causing the system to fail with a
bugcheck do not appear to be ideal experiences, this helps prevent
malicious code from executing. Preventing malicious code from
executing on the system may prevent damage to your system or
propagation of malicious code whose harmful effects could easily
exceed those of a process terminated by a bugcheck."