Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2 XP product key changing questions.

2 XP product key changing questions.

Edward

1. If I change a key on a machine
do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

pcbutts1

1. No not if you do it right. It also depends on the key that you use.
2. No

"Edward" <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. If I change a key on a machine
> do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?
>
> 2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

Sultan

Edward <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> 1. If I change a key on a machine
> do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?
>
> 2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

1.Re-register - no - reactivate yes.
2. Absolutely not. Won't work. Heck you can't even use an upgrade key
with a full version or vice versa.

I hope you are not trying to pirate this. Stealing is stealing in my
book and if this isn't your intention I apologize for bringing it up.

--

Sultan

Ron Martell

Edward <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote:

>1. If I change a key on a machine
> do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

Probably have to reactivate, which should be quick and painless over
the Internet.

>2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

No. Product keys are uniquely coded to the specific version of
Windows XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, or Tablet) and to the type of
Windows XP (Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM, Volume License)

OEM product keys are further subcoded so as to allow identification of
the specific OEM and of the presence or absence of "BIOS Locking" with
regards to that particular copy.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Daniel

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Edward <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote:
>
> >1. If I change a key on a machine
> > do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

> Probably have to reactivate, which should be quick and painless over
> the Internet.
>

> >2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

> No. Product keys are uniquely coded to the specific version of
> Windows XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, or Tablet) and to the type of
> Windows XP (Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM, Volume License)
>
> OEM product keys are further subcoded so as to allow identification of
> the specific OEM and of the presence or absence of "BIOS Locking" with
> regards to that particular copy.

"BIOS locking"? Are you meaning where an OEM distributor prevents you from
installing an operating system that they don't decide you can install?

G. Morgan

Subject: Re: 2 XP product key changing questions.
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> Daniel <= wrote:

>"BIOS locking"? Are you meaning where an OEM distributor prevents you from
>installing an operating system that they don't decide you can install?

No. It means a XP CD shipped with a Dell will only work on Dell computers (for
example).

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email