Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > about use ieee.numeric_std.all

about use ieee.numeric_std.all

lezah

Hi, I am using Maxplus II, but when I include this "use
ieee.numeric_std.all" in my code,
it has the following error message:
Library error: primary unit "numeric_std" denoted by prefix "IEEE"
must exist in the library.

Where can I download the ieee.numeric_std.all ?
Thx

Jonathan Bromley

"lezah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I am using Maxplus II, but when I include this "use
> ieee.numeric_std.all" in my code,
> it has the following error message:
> Library error: primary unit "numeric_std" denoted by prefix "IEEE"
> must exist in the library.

This is a limitation of MaxPlus+II, and several other
manufacturer-specific tools of the same era.

You can't add the package even if you had the source
code, because the synthesis tool needs to have the
library built-in for performance reasons.

However, you should find that you can

use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;

instead. This library was the predecessor of numeric_std
and basically works in the same way (new types SIGNED and
UNSIGNED; operators "+", "-", "<" etc) but the conversion
functions have different names:

numeric_std std_logic_arith
================================
to_integer conv_integer
to_(un)signed conv_(un)signed
resize extend

I'm not sure whether std_logic_arith.extend has the same
functionality as numeric_std.resize - I would need to
look that up, and it's the end of Friday, so I
can't be bothered
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Mike Treseler

lezah wrote:
> Hi, I am using Maxplus II, but when I include this "use
> ieee.numeric_std.all" in my code,
> it has the following error message:
> Library error: primary unit "numeric_std" denoted by prefix "IEEE"
> must exist in the library.
>
> Where can I download the ieee.numeric_std.all ?

It comes with Quartus, along with many other
impovements for VHDL synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler