Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for Square Root Sign

Looking for Square Root Sign

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm using
Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

°Mike°

SQUARE ROOT (U+221A) Font Support
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ontsupport.htm

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) took 3 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dave McGuriman

It's there. it just looks like more of a check mark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
> presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm using
> Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Old Sourdough

On 10 Apr 2005, wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
> presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm
> using Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Try selecting Symbol or Terminal for the font.

--
The Old Sourdough
You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

Kenny

If you have MS Word you should get it in the equation editor, its, not
installed by default, you may have to add it.

Kenny Cargill

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
> presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm using
> Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Thanks I found it under Terminal for a font. But when I select then
copy it, and try to paste it into a document, I get this

A different symbol altogether. I don't know what the problem is.

Also, how do I use this (U+221A) function? How do I type that in? I'm
not familiar with that. I read it as a combination of keystrokes, but
as soon as I type U, a U shows up in the document. Please excuse my
stupidity here. It's just new to me. Thanks again for the help.

>I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
>presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm using
>Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) took 16 lines to utter:

>Thanks I found it under Terminal for a font. But when I select then
>copy it, and try to paste it into a document, I get this

Terminal font is no good. Choose Symbol font.

>A different symbol altogether. I don't know what the problem is.
>
>Also, how do I use this (U+221A) function? How do I type that in? I'm
>not familiar with that. I read it as a combination of keystrokes, but
>as soon as I type U, a U shows up in the document. Please excuse my
>stupidity here. It's just new to me. Thanks again for the help.

Hold the ALT key and press (on the keypad) 0214 .

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Keme

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks I found it under Terminal for a font. But when I select then
> copy it, and try to paste it into a document, I get this

> A different symbol altogether. I don't know what the problem is.

If you copy from another application (or any window not "rich text
enabled") you copy the character code only. Different character sets
have different encoding schemes, so pasting the character code into Word
may well give a different character.

If you want to show the character as such, insert it using the menu
selection "Insert - symbol", select category "Math operators" and you'll
probably see it. (It looks like a checkmark, as previously stated. The
"overline" will be a format property of the element within the root
symbol. Any but the simplest formulas will be hard to write this way.)

If you want to write a formula with a square root (more likely, I
guess), use the equation editor like Kenny said. His link shows you both
how to install it (if it's not there), invoke it, and get you started
(using is mostly self explanatory).

Joel Rubin

I have the left part (checkmark looking thing) in Charmap about a
third of the way from the bottom in the font Lucida Sans Unicode.

They also have the version with the numbers for cube root and fourth
root.

AFAIK, Lucida Sans Unicode is installed with XP and 2000 and probably
other versions of Windows. Win 95/98/ME does not have support for the
Unicode system so you might need something else.

(Unicode is a two-byte character system [0-65535] so it includes
things like the Greek, Hebrew, Arabic and Cyrillic alphabets, et alia)

Dave Lear

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> I'm trying to find a square root sign to use in a Power Point
> presentation. I can't seem to find one in the character map. I'm
> using Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Start

Run

CHARMAP

Select Arial as the font

Row 49, column 17

Select

Copy

Switch to PowerPoint and Edit, Paste

Fix point square root Christian VHDL 5 03-18-2010 02:14 PM
multiplying two numbers and giving the square root David Harmon C++ 2 06-14-2006 07:56 PM
'big square root' for BigDecimal Jeremy Watts Java 4 05-26-2005 09:01 PM
SRT DIvision, Square root and reciprocal square root alghazo@siu.edu VHDL 0 05-27-2004 06:23 AM
Square Root of floating point number Luca VHDL 1 04-29-2004 02:51 PM

Advertisments