Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bullet-proof, free, batch WMA to MP3 converter

Bullet-proof, free, batch WMA to MP3 converter

Bob C

I know that there are dozens of converters which will take a WMA file and
convert it to MP3, but I need to recommend one to a non-techy colleague who
has a large library of WMA files and wants to convert them to MP3 so he can
play them on his new MP3 player.

Can anyone recommend a straightforward, simple-to-use one that's free and
reliable?

Many thanks.

°Mike°

CDex (free)
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

Advanced WMA Workshop (shareware)
http://www.litexmedia.com/wma_workshop/

In <42599d72$0$42324$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob C took 11 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Bob C

Thanks for the helpful reply. Much appreciated.

> CDex (free)
> http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>
> Advanced WMA Workshop (shareware)
> http://www.litexmedia.com/wma_workshop/
>
>>I know that there are dozens of converters which will take a WMA file and
>>convert it to MP3, but I need to recommend one to a non-techy colleague
>>who
>>has a large library of WMA files and wants to convert them to MP3 so he
>>can
>>play them on his new MP3 player.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a straightforward, simple-to-use one that's free and
>>reliable?
>>
>>Many thanks.

°Mike°

You're welcome.

In <4259a8ac$0$42306$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob C took 22 lines to utter:

>Thanks for the helpful reply. Much appreciated.
>
>> CDex (free)
>> http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>>
>> Advanced WMA Workshop (shareware)
>> http://www.litexmedia.com/wma_workshop/

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

elaich

"Bob C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:42599d72$0$42324$(E-Mail Removed):

> I know that there are dozens of converters which will take a WMA file
> and convert it to MP3, but I need to recommend one to a non-techy
> colleague who has a large library of WMA files and wants to convert
> them to MP3 so he can play them on his new MP3 player.

Yes, there are, but none that will convert copy protected ones. Just for
your information. You can search till doomsday and you won't find one. Hope
your friend's files aren't copy protected.

--
"No Giants relief pitchers were harmed during the making of this post. And
what I want to know is - why not?"

Daniel

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bob C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:42599d72$0$42324$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I know that there are dozens of converters which will take a WMA file
> > and convert it to MP3, but I need to recommend one to a non-techy
> > colleague who has a large library of WMA files and wants to convert
> > them to MP3 so he can play them on his new MP3 player.

> Yes, there are, but none that will convert copy protected ones. Just for
> your information. You can search till doomsday and you won't find one.

Hope
> your friend's files aren't copy protected.

Why not? It should only require if anything for something to read/play back
the file & wright the MP3 or at least WAV file while doing so (kind of like
WinAmp does with it's disk-writer plugin). Is it just that anyone who
attempts such a utility gets the full wrath of Micro$oft upon them?

Also is there a WMV to AVI or MPEG converter?

And what about a good (would be even better if it could be command line
operated for larger batching) RM to AVI/MPEG converter.

I know there was an older version of VirtualDub that does support this WMV
to AVI....any luck in possibly finding that?

old john

do a google search for `wma to mp3` you`ll get a fist full, then take your
choice, good luck..J

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bob C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:42599d72$0$42324$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I know that there are dozens of converters which will take a WMA file
>> and convert it to MP3, but I need to recommend one to a non-techy
>> colleague who has a large library of WMA files and wants to convert
>> them to MP3 so he can play them on his new MP3 player.

> Yes, there are, but none that will convert copy protected ones. Just for
> your information. You can search till doomsday and you won't find one.
> Hope
> your friend's files aren't copy protected.
>
> --
> "No Giants relief pitchers were harmed during the making of this post. And
> what I want to know is - why not?"

Llisa Llisa is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I often download video files. I have Windows 7 and I usually I use Convert-tune
http: // convert - tune.com /index .html,
it is easy to use and it converts video to MP4, WMV, AVI and 3gp. In addition,
it features free CD ripper and CD burner.
It runs on Windows 2003, XP, 7, Vista and adds ID3 tags
There is an option I like, 'surf and catch video'.

Danny Danny is offline
Junior Member

My choice was Audio Converter Studio when at about a year ago I needed to convert a lot of WMA files to MP3s, OGGs and some other formats which this software handled with ease. Maybe someone else might be interested in it: http://maniactools.com/soft/converter/index.shtml