Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pc wont install properly

pc wont install properly

lloydie

hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried to
boot up from that,
we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
<windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
reboots and the whole process starts over again
it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
thanks in advance

Old Gringo

lloydie wrote:
> hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
> to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried to
> boot up from that,
> we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
> <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
> reboots and the whole process starts over again
> it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
> thanks in advance

Before you do anything to take it out of warranty, take it back to
the dealer.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
lloydie took 10 lines to utter:

>hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
>to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried to
>boot up from that,
>we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
><windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
>reboots and the whole process starts over again
>it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
> thanks in advance

If it's a brand new PC, tell him to send it back for repair. And ask
for a Windows installation disk.

--
Basic computer maintenance

MrGrumpy

Brand new pc????????
Take it back for a replacement, NOT a repair

Or perhaps you meant to ask - A brand new pc, whats the quickest way to
invalidate the warranty/statutary rights????????

"lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
> to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried

> boot up from that,
> we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
> <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
> reboots and the whole process starts over again
> it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
> thanks in advance

Sultan

"lloydie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it
> failed to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it

round
> and tried to boot up from that,
> we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
> <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the
> system reboots and the whole process starts over again
> it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
> thanks in advance

I highly doubt you are going to void a hardware warranty by trying to
reinstall Windows so don't let the other posters scare you.

Have you tried to reformat the drive? Only do this if you have all
the disks for any apps that came with the computer - if not then you
very well might want to just take it back. In any case I would
complain loudly to the outfit that sold it to him for not verifying
it was in working order before going out the door.

Sultan

Dave Lear

"lloydie" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it
> failed to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it
> round and tried to boot up from that,
> we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
> <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen
> the system reboots and the whole process starts over again it
> makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?

Well, as I see you're posting from the United Kingdom (your NNTP posting
host was 81.86.158.241 which is Pipex in the UK) I would suggest you have a
read of this handy guide to The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended in
1994)...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/gu...sumerguide.pdf

If the product was faulty at the time of purchase and you were not made
aware of the fact at, or before, the time of the purchase then you're
legally entitled to a full refund or (if you choose) a repair / replacement.

Basically, if you bought it from a shop and it doesn't work take it back and
get your money back or get them to put it right. There's no point you doing
what the shop should have done in the first place. If they're happy to sell
you a PC in this state I'd be tempted to get your money back and shop
elsewhere.

Blinky the Shark

lloydie wrote:

> hi my fathers just bought a new pc

And they're all going to share it?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933: