Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WI-FI name and logo.

WI-FI name and logo.

ToyalP2

I believe that the black and white Wi-Fi logo is registered by the
Wi-Ffi alliance but they claim the name Wi-Fi is theirs too, if so, how
come I see it used everywhere and can I use it to advertize wireless
Internet at a wi-fi hot spot without falling into plagiarism or getting
sued for infringement or something?
They want my first born to register me as a user, nuts!
Thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

ToyalP2 wrote:
> I believe that the black and white Wi-Fi logo is registered by the
> Wi-Ffi alliance but they claim the name Wi-Fi is theirs too, if so, how
> come I see it used everywhere and can I use it to advertize wireless
> Internet at a wi-fi hot spot without falling into plagiarism or getting
> sued for infringement or something?
> They want my first born to register me as a user, nuts!
> Thanks

On April 3, someone named zucker asked a very similar question about the
same organization in news:alt.internet.wireless, you might want to take
a look at the question and responses. Pay particular attention to Jeff
Liebermann's always-informed, never-shy post.

By and large you see it used everywhere because there are paying members
who are frequently the "big guys" who can afford the fees and there are
the small fry who won't make enough of a ripple in the Wi-Fi world to
warrant attention. You could take into account which category you more
likely fit into.