Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DriveImage error

DriveImage error

Roger

I am trying to use DriveImage 2002 to clone my hard disk. But each time I
run it I get the following error 91 and below is the knowledge base
information from the web site:

"When using a Symantec partitioning or drive-imaging program, you see the
message "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu."
Solution:
If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can fix
Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master Boot Record
(MBR). "

I don't use a disk manager and can't find one on my hard drive. Could it be
the windows xp pro disk management in the Admin console? If so how do I
disable it? The KB goes on to say:

"If you determine it is OK to erase the Disk Manager signature, perform the
following procedure:

To erase the Disk Manager signature
Copy the Wrprog.exe utility to the boot diskette.
With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your computer.
1.. Run Wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data that is contained in the
hard disk's first head.
To create the backup, type the following command at the command prompt:

wrprog /bak head0.dat

2.. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager signature
from head 0 of the primary master drive. To do so, type the following:
fdisk /cmbr 1, where the number 1 signifies the primary master drive.
3.. Reboot the computer
4.. The error should no longer occur. "
I tried all that but still no joy. Could some expert please advise?
Apologies for the long winded explanation but I'm not technical and don't
know what other info may be required.
My OS is winxp pro with SP2.

Thanks

Roger

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d2uha9$24n$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to use DriveImage 2002 to clone my hard disk. But each
> time I run it I get the following error 91 and below is the knowledge
> base information from the web site:
>
> "When using a Symantec partitioning or drive-imaging program, you see
> the message "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu."
> Solution:
> If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can
> fix Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master
> Boot Record (MBR). "
>
> I don't use a disk manager and can't find one on my hard drive. Could
> it be the windows xp pro disk management in the Admin console? If so
> how do I disable it? The KB goes on to say:
>
> "If you determine it is OK to erase the Disk Manager signature,
> perform the following procedure:
>
> To erase the Disk Manager signature
> Copy the Wrprog.exe utility to the boot diskette.
> With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your
> computer.
> 1.. Run Wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data that is contained in
> the hard disk's first head.
> To create the backup, type the following command at the command
> prompt:
>
> wrprog /bak head0.dat
>
> 2.. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager
> signature from head 0 of the primary master drive. To do so, type the
> following:
> fdisk /cmbr 1, where the number 1 signifies the primary master drive.
> 3.. Reboot the computer
> 4.. The error should no longer occur. "
> I tried all that but still no joy. Could some expert please advise?
> Apologies for the long winded explanation but I'm not technical and
> don't know what other info may be required.
> My OS is winxp pro with SP2.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger

"Disk Manager" might be what is also called a drive overlay manager. It
usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (master boot record, which is
sector 0 of the first physical BIOS detected hard drive). It is used on
computers where the BIOS does not support large drives (i.e., it
provides the geometry translation that the BIOS lacks). If your BIOS
doesn't support large drives and if you don't use the drive overlay
manager then you don't get access to the full capacity of your hard
drive.

You can replace the MBR bootstrap code with the standard bootstrap
program but doing so will render your drives inaccessible, lose
partitions, severely reduce the usable space for your hard drive, and
probably end up corrupting the data you have in those partitions. So
first determine if you really do need the drive overlay manager.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

Roger

Thanks Vanguard

But when I was using fdisk and format it said that my BIOS supported large
drives.
It's an Award bios v6.0 and Asus chipset.
Regards

Roger

<Vanguard> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> computers where the BIOS does not support large drives (i.e., it provides
> the geometry translation that the BIOS lacks). If your BIOS doesn't
> support large drives and if you don't use the drive overlay manager then
> you don't get access to the full capacity of your hard drive.
>
> You can replace the MBR bootstrap code with the standard bootstrap program
> but doing so will render your drives inaccessible, lose partitions,
> severely reduce the usable space for your hard drive, and probably end up
> corrupting the data you have in those partitions. So first determine if
> you really do need the drive overlay manager.
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

old john

hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d2uha9$24n$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to use DriveImage 2002 to clone my hard disk. But each time I
> run it I get the following error 91 and below is the knowledge base
> information from the web site:
>
> "When using a Symantec partitioning or drive-imaging program, you see the
> message "Error 91: Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu."
> Solution:
> If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can fix
> Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master Boot
> Record (MBR). "
>
> I don't use a disk manager and can't find one on my hard drive. Could it
> be the windows xp pro disk management in the Admin console? If so how do I
> disable it? The KB goes on to say:
>
> "If you determine it is OK to erase the Disk Manager signature, perform
> the following procedure:
>
> To erase the Disk Manager signature
> Copy the Wrprog.exe utility to the boot diskette.
> With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your computer.
> 1.. Run Wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data that is contained in the
> hard disk's first head.
> To create the backup, type the following command at the command prompt:
>
> wrprog /bak head0.dat
>
> 2.. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager
> signature from head 0 of the primary master drive. To do so, type the
> following:
> fdisk /cmbr 1, where the number 1 signifies the primary master drive.
> 3.. Reboot the computer
> 4.. The error should no longer occur. "
> I tried all that but still no joy. Could some expert please advise?
> Apologies for the long winded explanation but I'm not technical and don't
> know what other info may be required.
> My OS is winxp pro with SP2.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger

"old john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K0B4e.6322$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost product.
The latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage. Try
visiting http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up. You can
now pull your head out of your arse.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d2ulh9$6ql$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>>

>> "Disk Manager" might be what is also called a drive overlay manager.
>> It usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (master boot record, which is
>> sector 0 of the first physical BIOS detected hard drive). It is used
>> on computers where the BIOS does not support large drives (i.e., it
>> provides the geometry translation that the BIOS lacks). If your BIOS
>> doesn't support large drives and if you don't use the drive overlay
>> manager then you don't get access to the full capacity of your hard
>> drive.
>>
>> You can replace the MBR bootstrap code with the standard bootstrap
>> program but doing so will render your drives inaccessible, lose
>> partitions, severely reduce the usable space for your hard drive, and
>> probably end up corrupting the data you have in those partitions. So
>> first determine if you really do need the drive overlay manager.

When the BIOS' POST screen appears that lists the detected drives, check
if the full capacity is listed. You don't want to boot the OS (which
already loaded the drive overlay manager) and then run a disk utility
that would involve the geometric translation from the drive overlay
manager (i.e., you're checking the disk size too late).

If the POST screen doesn't show you the drive size, or it scrolls off
the top of the screen to show you the ESCD table, then hit the hotkey to
enter your BIOS setup screens and look in its drive detection panel to
see what size it reports for your drive. By going into the BIOS, the
MBR bootstrap code (with the drive overlay manager) did not yet get
loaded).

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

old john

thanks V..j

<Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "old john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:K0B4e.6322$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
>> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
>> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

> Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
> Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost product. The
> latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage. Try visiting
> http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up. You can now pull
> your head out of your arse.
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.
> __________________________________________________ __________

doS

and put yours in, because PQ 2002 wasn't Symantecs product........

<Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "old john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:K0B4e.6322$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
>> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
>> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

> Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
> Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost product. The
> latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage. Try visiting
> http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up. You can now pull
> your head out of your arse.
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.
> __________________________________________________ __________

"doS" <123@.456.ORG> wrote in message
newsiC4e.3327$(E-Mail Removed)...
> and put yours in, because PQ 2002 wasn't Symantecs product........
>
> <Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "old john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:K0B4e.6322$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hi roger, i might have my head up my **se but symantics`
>>> imaging software is Ghost isn`t it, and drive image is by
>>> powerquest, so, are the error msgs the same ?..J

>> Symantec bought Powerquest. Powerquest had their DriveImage product.
>> Symantec had their Ghost product. Symantec dropped the Ghost
>> product. The latest version of Ghost is a renamed copy of DriveImage.
>> Try visiting http://www.powerquest.com/ and note where you end up.
>> You can now pull your head out of your arse.

It is NOW!!! Geesh, what a dufus. Symantec bought Powerquest. That
means ALL of Powerquest's product are now owned and supported by
Symantec. The old versions, the new versions, the future versions, they
all now belong to Symantec. Why do you think the OP mentioned visiting
Symantec support pages to get help on DriveImage?

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

doS

http://www.powerquest.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

here dufus jr., show me a dropped Ghost.......