Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Reply
Thread Tools

Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

 
 
scaredkitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
vs. posting/replying after each paragraph

What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when & how to
you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1 line of previous
post that you're replying to; or just include complete message that you're
replying to, or replying between lines or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am
getting contradictory information about this issue. Thanks! k


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
scaredkitty wrote:
> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph
>
> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when & how to
> you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1 line of previous
> post that you're replying to; or just include complete message that you're
> replying to, or replying between lines or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am
> getting contradictory information about this issue. Thanks! k


There's no definitive answer, although many people who disagree with
each other fervently believe there is. The consensus seems to be that
bottom posting is more widely accepted. Inter-posting makes sense when
responding to several points in a post. Snipping down to the relevant
info is good practice I believe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
Rgr wrote:

> scaredkitty wrote:
>> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph
>>
>> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when &
>> how to you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1
>> line of previous post that you're replying to; or just include
>> complete message that you're replying to, or replying between lines
>> or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am getting contradictory
>> information about this issue. Thanks! k

>
> There's no definitive answer, although many people who disagree with
> each other fervently believe there is. The consensus seems to be that
> bottom posting is more widely accepted. Inter-posting makes sense when
> responding to several points in a post. Snipping down to the relevant
> info is good practice I believe.


Maybe some people *should* use AOL.
--
It's scary out there.


 
Reply With Quote
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
trout wrote:

> Rgr wrote:
>
>> scaredkitty wrote:
>>> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph
>>>
>>> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when &
>>> how to you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1
>>> line of previous post that you're replying to; or just include
>>> complete message that you're replying to, or replying between lines
>>> or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am getting contradictory
>>> information about this issue. Thanks! k

>>
>> There's no definitive answer, although many people who disagree with
>> each other fervently believe there is. The consensus seems to be that
>> bottom posting is more widely accepted. Inter-posting makes sense
>> when responding to several points in a post. Snipping down to the
>> relevant info is good practice I believe.

>
> Maybe some people *should* use AOL.


Whoops. No offense to kitty. This was meant to go in the "HELP
CANCEL...." thread.
--
Zzzzzzz.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Parko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
scaredkitty wrote:
> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph


Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
otherwise. Make your choice.
>
> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when & how to
> you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1 line of previous
> post that you're replying to;

or just include complete message that you're
> replying to, or replying between lines or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am
> getting contradictory information about this issue. Thanks! k
>
>

Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
otherwise. Make your choice.
--
Parko
 
Reply With Quote
 
scaredkitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
That's ok--no problem
k


"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MTo4e.897733$Xk.349748@pd7tw3no...
> trout wrote:
>
>> Rgr wrote:
>>
>>> scaredkitty wrote:
>>>> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph
>>>>
>>>> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when &
>>>> how to you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1
>>>> line of previous post that you're replying to; or just include
>>>> complete message that you're replying to, or replying between lines
>>>> or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and am getting contradictory
>>>> information about this issue. Thanks! k
>>>
>>> There's no definitive answer, although many people who disagree with
>>> each other fervently believe there is. The consensus seems to be that
>>> bottom posting is more widely accepted. Inter-posting makes sense
>>> when responding to several points in a post. Snipping down to the
>>> relevant info is good practice I believe.

>>
>> Maybe some people *should* use AOL.

>
> Whoops. No offense to kitty. This was meant to go in the "HELP
> CANCEL...." thread.
> --
> Zzzzzzz.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
scaredkitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
Top posting seems easier (especially to a newbie), but I don't want to
**** any one off
k



"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fUo4e.458$(E-Mail Removed)...
> scaredkitty wrote:
>> vs. posting/replying after each paragraph

>
> Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
> otherwise. Make your choice.
>>
>> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when & how
>> to you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1 line of
>> previous post that you're replying to;

> or just include complete message that you're
>> replying to, or replying between lines or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and
>> am getting contradictory information about this issue. Thanks! k

> Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
> otherwise. Make your choice.
> --
> Parko



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
scaredkitty wrote:
> Top posting seems easier (especially to a newbie), but I don't want to
> **** any one off


Don't worry, you will. No matter what you do. That's not necessarily a
bad thing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Old Gringo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
scaredkitty wrote:
> Top posting seems easier (especially to a newbie), but I don't want to
> **** any one off
> k
>
>
>
> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fUo4e.458$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>scaredkitty wrote:
>>
>>>vs. posting/replying after each paragraph

>>
>>Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
>>otherwise. Make your choice.
>>
>>> What is the proper and acceptable way to reply to NG, and when & how
>>>to you refer to the post that you're replying to--ie, choose 1 line of
>>>previous post that you're replying to;

>>
>>or just include complete message that you're
>>
>>>replying to, or replying between lines or paragraphs. I'm a newbie, and
>>>am getting contradictory information about this issue. Thanks! k

>>
>>Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
>>otherwise. Make your choice.
>>--
>>Parko

>
>
>

Look at it like Instant Messaging, your answer follows the other guys
question. Easy to keep track of. OE can be set to bottom post.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
Old Gringo wrote:
>
> >>Microsoft seems to think top posting is the go. Everyone else thinks
> >>otherwise. Make your choice.


True. MS started the top posting thing when folks with OE started to use
USEnet. They figured MS knows best, which is incorrect.

> Look at it like Instant Messaging, your answer follows the other guys
> question. Easy to keep track of. OE can be set to bottom post.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do we know the memory arrangement using in microprocessors? Top-Bottom or Bottom-Top? Cuthbert C Programming 8 09-13-2006 12:09 PM
[OT] : Top Posting vs Bottom Posting Wayne Wastier Windows 64bit 7 07-17-2005 03:57 PM
Top or bottom posting Emrys Davies Computer Support 44 03-05-2005 08:26 PM
Re: Top or bottom posting Stan Aims Computer Information 3 03-03-2005 11:49 AM
Top or Bottom Posting ? Galaxy Computer Support 20 09-07-2003 12:48 AM



Advertisments