Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > init RAM with .rif

init RAM with .rif

bhb

Hi,

I would like to use a file. rif in a functional Simulation (VHDL) with
ModelSim-Altera Software.
(RAM initialisation).

Does anyone have information, or better an example to use this file ?.

Thanks.

H.

Mike Treseler

bhb wrote:

> I would like to use a file. rif in a functional Simulation (VHDL) with
> ModelSim-Altera Software.
> (RAM initialisation).
>
> Does anyone have information, or better an example to use this file ?.

That's an altera.com question.

Why might I want to init a RAM during download?
There are two possible reasons.

1. I really need a rom, and should consider using a vhdl
constant array of vectors to infer the ROM from
block RAM without worrying about vendor specific files.

2. I have a local or external controller that
will do read and write cylces to this block ram.
In this case, consider inferring the RAM from
a template and init it (if need be) using the controller.

-- Mike Treseler

init of class members : mem(0) vs. mem() vs. not-init at all news.aon.at C++ 11 01-29-2011 07:30 PM
Init RAM component hilal VHDL 3 03-14-2008 11:12 AM
questions about object initialization, default-init and value-init Jess C++ 4 05-04-2007 02:47 AM
Sequence Order between Page Init and User Control Init Tony Cheng ASP .Net 1 02-24-2006 01:56 PM
Compiler/Linker Error undefined reference to 'std::ios_base::Init::Init[in-charge]() clusardi2k@aol.com C++ 1 08-18-2005 07:11 PM

Advertisments