Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > vhs -> dvd advice requested

vhs -> dvd advice requested

Cassie

I want to be able to transfer something from a vhs to a dvd and I know there
is quite a bit of software available for this purpose. I would really
appreciate hearing from anyone who has made this sort of transfer so I can
make a better choice from what is available. Thanks for any and all help and
suggestions.

FML

Cassie spewed forth...

> I want to be able to transfer something from a vhs to a dvd and I know
> there is quite a bit of software available for this purpose. I would
> really appreciate hearing from anyone who has made this sort of
> transfer so I can make a better choice from what is available. Thanks
> for any and all help and suggestions.

If you want to do it on the computer, you'll need some sort of video
capture board (I have a Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert ~$60 US) and a
DVD burner. Both devices usually bundle adequate software to do the
capture from VHS and burning to DVD. This is one of those things where
you can spend as much money as you want to spend.

If this is something you need to do a lot of, and you want to copy whole
tapes unattended, consider getting a VCR/DVDR unit. These can be had for
a couple of hundred dollars and it is as easy as putting in the tape,
putting in a blank DVD and pressing a button. My friend converted a
whole library of family VHS tapes to DVD using one of these and it works
quite well

HTH