Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File Names with spaces in them?

Reply
Thread Tools

File Names with spaces in them?

 
 
Mike Cox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:
\Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I
also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.


I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
\Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Mike Cox wrote:

> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:
> \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I
> also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
> UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.
>
>
> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
> would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


Read the FAQ, ask your question(s) in the Apache NG's, and as far as
building Apache to run with windows, use the Win32 builds, i.e.
apache_2.0.53-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Mike Cox wrote:
> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
> locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
> which complicates matters even more.
>
>
> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)






 
Reply With Quote
 
*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Hi Mike Cox, You told me:
> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
> locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
> instance


'the program'? What ****ing 'program'? Apache? Something else? What? You
less than vague cretin?

> "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
> which complicates matters even more.
>
>
> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


Try enclosing the filename in double quotes and use forward slashes.

ServerRoot "C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"

Alias /****tard "C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"

for ex****ingample.

Read the Windows version of httpd.conf, for ex****ingample.

"C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"
"C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard/who knows **** all"

If 'the program' still fails to recognise spaces, use the DOS short path.
See DIR /X, for ex****ingample.

You have spent too much time in cola. Linux makes you ****ing stupid.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff_Relf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005

Hi Check_Kiter, You told Mikie: << Hi Mike Cox, You told me: >>

Unless I see your royalty check in the mail soon,
my lawyers will be contacting your lawyers.

P.S. My lawyers eat your types for lunch.




( ha ha... it's a joke )

 
Reply With Quote
 
DC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
> Mike Cox wrote:
>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>> locations.
>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>> which complicates matters even more.



>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?


>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
> hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.


Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
DC wrote:
> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>>> locations.
>>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>>> which complicates matters even more.

>
>
>>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
>>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
>>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

>
>>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.

>
>> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
>> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
>> hassle.

>
> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?


FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might have
heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to stop using Linux
RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating System and there are no
Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE and Gnome sucks.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)












 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005

x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

On 3 Apr 2005 13:01:21 +0200, Mike Cox wrote:

>I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
>The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:


What program?

>\Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I


So it's you writing LFNs or the program reading them?

Get the program to use 8.3 format?

Read the manual for the PHP code and see why it's having problems with
LFNs.

Use something else that parses LFN's correctly and pass them back into
the PHP code.

As with any webserver / scripting it's *always best to avoid spaces &
stuff like !"$ and uppercase in paths and filenames.

>also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
>UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.


Also easy although it's been years since doing that.

You should IIRC be able to use either / or \ as long as you stick to the
same methos all the way throughout.

>I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:


Duh! try \\ if not that www.google.com


PHP guide
.... The escape character is a backslash ( \ ) and it tells the PHP
parser to just
print and not read the character that follows the escape character. ...


>\Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
>would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
>FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


Lots of PHP books, mailing lists and forums, and even some newsgroups.
Check other sources.


Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
DC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
> DC wrote:
>> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>>>> locations.
>>>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>>>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>>>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>>>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>>>> which complicates matters even more.



>>>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
>>>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
>>>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?


>>>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.


>>> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
>>> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
>>> hassle.


>> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?


> FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might have
> heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to stop using Linux
> RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating System and there are no
> Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE and Gnome sucks.


You are such a ****ing ****.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
DC wrote:
> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>> DC wrote:
>>> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>>>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>>>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>>>>> locations.
>>>>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>>>>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>>>>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>>>>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>>>>> which complicates matters even more.

>
>
>>>>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of
>>>>> "C: \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what
>>>>> it is. How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

>
>>>>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k.

>
>>>> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
>>>> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
>>>> hassle.

>
>>> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

>
>> FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might
>> have heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to
>> stop using Linux RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating
>> System and there are no Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE
>> and Gnome sucks.

>
> You are such a ****ing ****.


Thanks, you illiterate bucket of radioactive haemorrhoids.


--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)























 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XSD to allow A-Z 0-9 and spaces, but not leading/trailing spaces johkar XML 2 12-10-2009 09:24 AM
[CSS] how can I show spaces as spaces? Tomasz Chmielewski HTML 21 09-10-2009 06:43 PM
how can I show spaces as spaces, part 2 Tomasz Chmielewski HTML 14 09-10-2009 03:54 PM
Re: How to trim a String trailing spaces, but not leading spaces? Roedy Green Java 3 09-14-2008 02:10 AM
Re: How to trim a String trailing spaces, but not leading spaces? John B. Matthews Java 4 09-12-2008 05:28 AM



Advertisments